These couples are redefining traditional stereotypes of marriages
February 17, 2018
There are barriers plenty when it comes to finding love and forming relationships for people with disabilities. This is the story in many parts of the world. In India, the walls are especially high, given the stigma around disability.
There are many couples who are breaking these walls. February is the month when the world celebrates love, and we brought you stories of couples who are re-writing conventional love stories that we have come to accept as normal. Stories of inclusive partnerships, where one has a disability and has found someone who looks beyond that to share their lives with.
Like Swarnalatha and Guruprasad, whose world was temporarily rocked after she was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis soon after the birth of their first child. They found strength in each, other to not just overcome this but are helping others with disabilities.
Nafisa, an independent banking professional, who never let disability define her, finding love with Parvez, when she least expected it. Krishna & Stanzen, artists based in Manali, who have to take on family biases as well as social stigma.
Visakan, whose self confidence so impressed Shalini, that she went against her mother's wishes to marry him. In him, she says she has found support like she has never felt before. And childhood friends
Raghavi & Senthil, who are spreading the joy of companionship to people with disabilities through their NGO.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 18, 2019 Climb With ABBF
- Headlines April 12, 2019 First phase of 17th Loka Sabha elections completed
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Hygiene lessons for children with autism can be made fun, here's how
- Headlines April 15, 2019 IPL 2019 RCB wins 1st match
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Get-hooked April 12, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Don't play too safe with your money, look at ways to invest smartly
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News