Important decisions announced at 1st meet of advisory board on disability
The Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Thaawar Chand Gehlot held the first Meeting of Central Advisory Board on Disability set up under the RPwD Act, 2016.
Some crucial announcements regarding future policies as well as achievements were announced:
- The number of Composite Regional Centres at the state level have been increased from 8 to 14 and every state government has been asked to set up one such centers. CRCs are resource centers for people with disabilities.
- A decision has been taken to increase the disability allowance as well as increase the number of slots for top class education from 160 to 300.
- A free coaching scheme for people with disabilities has been finalized and will be implemented soon.
- 172 hospitals have been empanelled for cochlear Implant surgeries and these have conducted 1,063 such surgeries so far.
- The eligibility of motorized tricycles for the disabled has been reduced from 18 years to 16 years.
- A high end prosthetics workshop has been commissioned for producing below knee and above knee prosthetics in collaboration with Ottobock India. This is under the Make in India Initiative.
- A production center for manufacturing wheelchairs, tricycle, motorized tricycles, rolaters and crutches is coming up in Ujjain in Madhya Pradesh. Production will commence on 18 March, 2018.
- The number of District Disability Rehabilitation Centers (DDRC), which are centers set up in remote districts of the country for providing services to the disabled, will be increased. They will be set up in 47 more districts. Currently these are functioning in 263 districts.
- 1662 buildings audited so far to check if they are accessible. Rs. 172.96 lakhs released to make 665 buildings accessible.
- All 34 international airports and 48 domestic airports have been made accessible.
- 12,894 buses made accessible.
- 111 of the 917 websites of state governments have been made accessible.