His haircuts bring a smile to disabled kids & orphans
February 18, 2018
G Charan Kumar, a Visakhapatnam- based hairdresser is offering a unique and wonderful service to orphans and kids with disabilities. He gives them haircuts for free.
Charan Anna, as he is popularly know, even goes to schools to give haircuts. He decided to start doing this after he visited a blind school and found a child with a bleeding ear. He had got hurt while he was being given a haircut. He promised the child he would return to give him a proper haircut
He kept his promise and the look of joy on the kids' faces stayed with him. This is how he decided to give haircuts free of cost to orphaned and disabled kids. Charan Anna dedicates every Tuesday to visit orphanages, schools and homes for disabled kids to give them a makeover.
Charan Anna was forced to drop out of school when he was seven years old and started working at his uncle's salon. He did a professional course and set up his own hair studio in the city. He now has a group called Trendz, named after his salon, with a team of 15 hairdressers from other salons in the city to give a free makeover to these special children. His group has spread to Hyderabad and Mumbai where similar initiatives are being carried out by hairdresser teams.
His team has given haircuts to hundreds of kids. From fun spikes, short-crops to layered bouncy cuts, they give a complete makeover to the children and also explain to them about personal hygiene. He is now planning to host a fashion show with these children.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Road to getting disability certificates filled with barriers for hemophilia patients
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Events April 18, 2019 Climb With ABBF
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 This programme claims to empower kids with developmental disorders through virtual training
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News