Vadodara's royal family & public come to aid of Gujarat's deaf cricketers
Where the Gujarat government has failed, people have shown the way.
The team is currently training in Vadodara for the 8th National Cricket Tournament, and this has happened thanks to the support of local people. The team was to participate in a three-day camp at Vadodara from Saturday, but the Deaf Cricket Association Vadodara (DCAV) said it had no money and asked the captain of the deaf cricket team Imran Sheikh to arrange for their stay and food.
In a letter to Sheikh the association said that it was short of funds. Sheikh, who has limited financial means himself, started asking for help. The city did not disappoint him.
First, a member of the royal family Samarjitsinh Gaekwad allowed the cricketers to practice at the Motibaug cricket ground. Then a local builder Bharatsinh Sutreja prepared one of his large flats for the cricketers to stay.
When the government failed the players, the public stepped forward.
Watch in Sign Language
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
- Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News