Speech & hearing impaired kids learn this ancient art form through sign language
Speech and hearing impaired kids of Lakshmeshwar in Karnataka have been training in the ancient art of Mallakhamba.
They have been practicing for so long that it has now become a simple sport and they perform it with ease.
The children are between 5 to 15 years, and their coach uses sign language to teach them the various moves of mallakhamba.
The form is very difficult and take years of practice to perfect, but for these children, it almost seems effortless as they go about it in a focused manner.
The BD Tatti Memorial Charitable Trust in Lakshmeshwar, Karnataka has been training the disabled students for years now and also provide food and accommodation to the students as well.
Mallakhamba is a traditional Indian sport in which a gymnast performs yoga postures and wrestling grips on a stationary or hanging wooden pole, cane or hanging rope.
The pole is generally 11-ft tall with a circumference of 50cm. In Rope Mallakhamba, a strong cotton rope of 25 feet is hung, and the gymnast has to perform action without tying the rope to his/her body.
Watch in Sign Language
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
- Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
February 17, 2019
- #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
February 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Patients find centre stage in competencies aimed to develop disability-inclusive compassionate care
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi launches mega poll rally in U.P
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 16, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News