Para-athlete Sakina Khatun who threatened suicide, wins silver medal
February 19, 2018
Indian para-athlete Sakina Khatun has made history by winning an impressive silver medal at the Para Powerlifting World Cup in Dubai.
She took part in the Women's upto 45 kg category with a lift of 80kg.
However, the victory did not come easy to the amazing para athlete and she performed with a sad heart.
Khatun was not included in the recently announced names for the 2018 Commonwealth Games squad and got so demotivated that that she threatened to commit suicide.
Khatun's current victory comes at an appropriate time as it shows the potential of the athlete.
Despite appealing to the Paralympic Committee of India regarding her omission from the 2018 Commonwealth Games, she is yet to receive a response.
It is shocking as she meets the eligibility criteria as set by the Commonwealth Games Federation and is at the number two spot in the CWG and Asian rankings.
Khatun is the only Indian para-athlete to win a medal at the Commonwealth Games. She won a bronze in the lightweight category in Glasgow.
As per reports, Sakina Khatun's letter written to the Paralympic Committee of India has been forwarded to the Indian Olympic Association - IOA for consideration.
However, no response has come from them and it is still to be seen if she will be allowed entry to the 2018 Games, to be held in the Gold Coast, Australia.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- #IStandIndependent - Amidst hardships, Manoj Kumar pursues his love for sports with determination & hard work
August 22, 2019
- Indian para swimmers successfully swim the Catalina Channel, set Asia record
August 21, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 16, 2019 From 29 October, women can travel for free on Delhi buses
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Ex-minister P Chidambaram arrested
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Kerala minister K K Shailaja steps in for deaf child affected in the floods
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Telephone services, Internet partially back in J&K
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Deepa Malik wins Khel Ratna
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Kamal Nath’s nephew arrested for fraud
- Get-Hooked August 16, 2019 Kuldeep Devendra Rawal wants to be a change maker using the power of music
- Events August 21, 2019 GO PLAY - A Parent Education Program
- Parasports August 20, 2019 “Never give up, live life to the fullest”- My Take by triple amputee & Trekker Sekhar Goud
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News