Para-athlete Sakina Khatun who threatened suicide, wins silver medal
February 19, 2018
Indian para-athlete Sakina Khatun has made history by winning an impressive silver medal at the Para Powerlifting World Cup in Dubai.
She took part in the Women's upto 45 kg category with a lift of 80kg.
However, the victory did not come easy to the amazing para athlete and she performed with a sad heart.
Khatun was not included in the recently announced names for the 2018 Commonwealth Games squad and got so demotivated that that she threatened to commit suicide.
Khatun's current victory comes at an appropriate time as it shows the potential of the athlete.
Despite appealing to the Paralympic Committee of India regarding her omission from the 2018 Commonwealth Games, she is yet to receive a response.
It is shocking as she meets the eligibility criteria as set by the Commonwealth Games Federation and is at the number two spot in the CWG and Asian rankings.
Khatun is the only Indian para-athlete to win a medal at the Commonwealth Games. She won a bronze in the lightweight category in Glasgow.
As per reports, Sakina Khatun's letter written to the Paralympic Committee of India has been forwarded to the Indian Olympic Association - IOA for consideration.
However, no response has come from them and it is still to be seen if she will be allowed entry to the 2018 Games, to be held in the Gold Coast, Australia.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Sadhvi Thakur slapped with notice over statements
- Headlines April 21, 2019 IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 A session on managing your own career for people with visual impairments
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Make comedy film on PM Modi: Urmila Matondkar
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 What Good Are We? - Guest column by Arun Dua
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News