Para-athlete Sakina Khatun who threatened suicide, wins silver medal
Indian para-athlete Sakina Khatun has made history by winning an impressive silver medal at the Para Powerlifting World Cup in Dubai.
She took part in the Women's upto 45 kg category with a lift of 80kg.
However, the victory did not come easy to the amazing para athlete and she performed with a sad heart.
Khatun was not included in the recently announced names for the 2018 Commonwealth Games squad and got so demotivated that that she threatened to commit suicide.
Khatun’s current victory comes at an appropriate time as it shows the potential of the athlete.
Despite appealing to the Paralympic Committee of India regarding her omission from the 2018 Commonwealth Games, she is yet to receive a response.
It is shocking as she meets the eligibility criteria as set by the Commonwealth Games Federation and is at the number two spot in the CWG and Asian rankings.
Khatun is the only Indian para-athlete to win a medal at the Commonwealth Games. She won a bronze in the lightweight category in Glasgow.
As per reports, Sakina Khatun’s letter written to the Paralympic Committee of India has been forwarded to the Indian Olympic Association – IOA for consideration.
However, no response has come from them and it is still to be seen if she will be allowed entry to the 2018 Games, to be held in the Gold Coast, Australia.
Watch in Sign Language
- Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
February 16, 2019
- First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
February 15, 2019
- Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
February 13, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
- Get-hooked February 9, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Technology February 11, 2019 Move to promote inclusion or mere gimmick? Disability-themed emojis for 2019 get mixed reviews
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Disabled people are routine targets of abuse by Indian politicians despite laws banning this
- Get-hooked February 10, 2019 Mammootty watches latest film 'Peranbu' with disabled kids at Kochi theatre
- Get-hooked February 10, 2019 Teen art prodigy Ansh's stunning watercolours show maturity, individuality
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Get-hooked February 10, 2019 Understanding Rare Diseases
- Headlines February 9, 2019 Akash Ambani and Shloka Mehta to tie the knot on 9 March
- Events February 9, 2019 Race For 7
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News