Para-athlete Sakina Khatun who threatened suicide, wins silver medal
February 19, 2018
Indian para-athlete Sakina Khatun has made history by winning an impressive silver medal at the Para Powerlifting World Cup in Dubai.
She took part in the Women's upto 45 kg category with a lift of 80kg.
However, the victory did not come easy to the amazing para athlete and she performed with a sad heart.
Khatun was not included in the recently announced names for the 2018 Commonwealth Games squad and got so demotivated that that she threatened to commit suicide.
Khatun's current victory comes at an appropriate time as it shows the potential of the athlete.
Despite appealing to the Paralympic Committee of India regarding her omission from the 2018 Commonwealth Games, she is yet to receive a response.
It is shocking as she meets the eligibility criteria as set by the Commonwealth Games Federation and is at the number two spot in the CWG and Asian rankings.
Khatun is the only Indian para-athlete to win a medal at the Commonwealth Games. She won a bronze in the lightweight category in Glasgow.
As per reports, Sakina Khatun's letter written to the Paralympic Committee of India has been forwarded to the Indian Olympic Association - IOA for consideration.
However, no response has come from them and it is still to be seen if she will be allowed entry to the 2018 Games, to be held in the Gold Coast, Australia.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Sherin & Neerada’s deep bond of friendship is rooted in understanding & respect
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Parenting Corner- Food Aversion and Autism
- Events June 20, 2019 Workshop on Behaviour Therapy
- Events June 20, 2019 Certificate course in Assistive Technology Solutions
- Headlines June 14, 2019 PM Modi tells ministers to get to work on time
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 New foldable ramp at Chennai buses get mixed response
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Acid attack survivors hope SRK's support will lend greater focus to their campaign
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Dhoni must keep playing, says ex Aussie cricketer
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News