IIT Bombay creates device to help in treatment of cerebral palsy
February 21, 2018
The Industrial Research and Consultancy Centre of the Indian Institute of Technology in Bombay, has created a project to assist in the challenges faced during the treatment of cerebral palsy, CP. The device can stimulate the human vestibular system.
Called Vestibulator, device seen as breakthrough technology
The device that has been developed is being looked at as one of the 100 upcoming technologies in India that can change the way CP and other disorders are treated.
The vestibular system includes parts of the inner ear and brain that help control balance and eye movements in the human body.
The device, which has been named Vestibulator, is a compact and innovative healthcare device that can be used extensively as part of neuro-developmental and sensory integration therapy.
It simulates the vestibular system in a way that is essential for the treatment of CP, autism spectrum disorder, learning disabilities, hearing impairment, traumatic brain injuries, vertigo and various other disorders.
The device has been designed with the latest advanced technology and allows for multiple types of operations and also a storage of patient data that can assist therapists in giving better treatment to their patients.It is hoped that the device will make up for the shortage of existing therapists in comparison to the large number of patients seeking treatment.
It will allow a therapist to serve more number of patients in a shorter time span, thereby enabling more patients to get the benefits of treatment.
Cerebral palsy, CP, is the most common physical disability found in children and severely affects their physical and mental growth. There are around 74 million children in India with CP and the numbers are gradually increasing. It is vital that newer and better treatment methods are created for early detection and therapy.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events July 11, 2019 South Zone Regional Abilympics
- Events July 16, 2019 International Autism Conference
- Headlines July 15, 2019 ‘Chandrayaan 2’ launch called off after technical slag
- Lifestyle July 17, 2019 No lace sports shoes for kids – Affordable, convenient and takes away the pain!
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 #RareDiseases - Indian Rett Syndrome Foundation is raising awareness about this genetic brain disorder
- Events July 11, 2019 Inclusive Art Therapy Workshop
- Headlines July 14, 2019 Kumaraswamy calls for floor test amid political crisis
- Get-hooked July 11, 2019 #RareDiseases - Attitude key when living with Ataxia
- Headlines July 12, 2019 Al-Qaeda head calls for attack on J&K in video
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Saswati Singh's efforts to empower people with disabilities takes off as Nav Prerna Foundation
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News