Disabled people & elderly a key part of coffee chain Hatti Kaapi's workforce
At 87 years, S Neelakanta Rao is as keen and enthusiastic as any other employee at Hatti Kaapi, the coffee chain. He is among the many senior citizens hired by Hatti Food and Beverages at its 63 outlets spread across Bengaluru, Mysuru, Mangalore, Hyderabad and New Delhi.
26% of its workforce is made up of senior citizens and the disabled. The coffee chain is promoting the concept of working retirees at its outlets, and is offering seniors who want to keep working, a chance to be occupied.
Rao has been with Hatti Kaapi for the last five years and he is involved in keeping track of the Sodexo coupons collected from various outlets in and around Bengaluru.
He travels 30 kilometres a day from home to work and loves every bit of it. With him is 77-year-old G T Arasu, who also manages the company accounts and runs errands.
Hatti Kaapi has been recognised for making sure that a sizeable percentage of its staff is made up of the elderly and disabled. It won the NCPEDP Mindtree Helen Keller Award 2017 for promoting equal opportunities for people with disabilities. Its Kuvempu Road Metro station outlet is entirely managed by four disabled workers.
It also has tie-ups with 8-10 NGOs and hires people with a range of disabilities, including autism and visual impairment, and trains them for various jobs at outlets.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports December 18, 2018 Para athletes see opportunities in Citi-International Paralympic Committee partnership
- Events December 17, 2018 Workshop on Concessions and Benefits for Children with Hearing Loss
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Get set for an explosion of art & culture in accessible forms at the Serendipity Arts Festival
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some useful Information about Angelman Syndrome
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Badminton players Saina Nehwal and Parupalli Kashyap are married
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Come 16 December, Bengaluru will host a car rally for awareness on autism
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 10, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018