Barrier-free public transport still a dream, says man who started the campaign 17 years ago
In 2001, Dinesh Gupta, who was then in his 20s reached out to the Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities demanding accessible public transport in Delhi. Gupta, who has cerebral palsy, started off a case that brought the central and Delhi governments, bus manufacturers and all agencies together to look at the issue of barrier-free public transport.
Many promises like low-floor buses were made. But 17 years later, Gupta says that accessible commute remains a dream in India's national capital.
Today in place of his youthful idealism is anger when he looks at how city and transport planners have repeatedly failed people with disabilities.
In 2004, a court ruled that low-floor buses be introduced and that was followed but left out was the hydraulic ramp for wheelchairs and ramps at bus stops.
He has now stopped using buses and uses a car, driver and an attendant to escort him to his workplace. He says that he can afford these facilities but there are hundreds who cannot, and the planners have failed them.
Gupta's story shows that from the Persons with Disabilities Act, 1995, to the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016, little has changed when it comes to daily travel for the disabled.
Watch in Sign Language
- Health Problems in children with Autism
December 16, 2018
- Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
December 16, 2018
- 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
December 15, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Deaf candidate Sudeep Shukla impresses in polls, shows the way to disabled political aspirants
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Congress to form government in MP with Mayawati’s support
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 This Ability - Gift Abled - Inclusiveness - Guest Column by Richa Sharma, Special Educator
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Virat gets booed by fans in Australia, 'not done' says former Aussie player
- Headlines December 16, 2018 Three terrorists & seven civilians killed at encounter in Jammu & Kashmir
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 New study highlights importance of building motor skills in kids with autism
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some useful Information about Angelman Syndrome
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Parasports December 16, 2018 India roots for Arunima Sinha as she sets to scale Antarctica's highest peak
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Army jawan arrested in connection with Bulandshahr cop murder
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 14, 2018
Get-hooked December 10, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018