No writers to help visually impaired students for exams
February 22, 2018
Annual exams are already here. While everybody is preparing to write their exams, the authorities are finding it hard to get people who can write exams for the visually impaired students this year. The Maharashtra government has banked in many writers, but that is not enough. Many visually impaired students are still finding it hard to get someone to write Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC) exam for them.
Pearls of Vision organization, that works for children with special needs says that this is the first time that a state government is preparing a list of writers who will help children with special needs. Till now, 779 people have volunteered to write down the exams.
Ummehaani Bagasrawala, who is the founder of the organization, said that people need to be more sensitive towards this issue and come forward to help CWSN. Many students agree to write down the exam for visually impaired students, but in the last minute they do not turn up. Ummehaani said that one visually impaired student lost his academic year because the writer who promised to come did not turn up. Instead, asked for pay.
Ummehaani says that they do not know how to approach the bank of writers that the government has formed, and nobody knows about this bank of writers.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 25, 2019 Tough, but not impossible. - Guest columnist Karthik Chandrashekhar talks about his journey overcoming disability
- Accessibility March 21, 2019 A tactile toolkit that explains what periods are all about to girls with vision & hearing disabilities
- Headlines March 20, 2019 PM Modi’s biopic to release on 5 April
- Accessibility March 22, 2019 Kochi Muziris Biennale introduces Braille texts, becomes torch-bearers for inclusive art festivals
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Disability rights rules amended for people with high support needs
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 Disabled people share uncomfortable encounters on social media with hash tag #AbledsAreWeird
- Headlines March 18, 2019 Goa CM Manohar Parrikar is no more
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News