Deaf & speech impaired Bangalore youth’s campaign to make cab booking apps inclusive
February 22, 2018
App based taxi calling services have made travelling in Indian cities very comfortable for the people. However, the apps are not accessible for people with hearing and speech impairments.
23 year old youth Shaik Shoeb in Bangalore has raised the demand that the apps for booking the private cabs such as Ola and Uber should be made inclusive.
The apps do not have a text option and this makes it challenging for riders with hearing and speech impairments to book cabs and coordinate with the drivers.
He is not able to call the drivers and communicate his location with them most times and that causes him to miss the cab.
Shoeb says that cab service providers should develop the apps to include 'text' option to get in touch with people who have disabilities like him.
The same is required of app that are made for food delivery.
Shoeb has started a campaign - #MakeUberAccessible and#MakeOlaAccessible - to draw attention to this matter and gain support from other people with disabilities.
Watch in Sign Language
- Western Railways’ monsoon helpdesks for disabled people, elderly are a winning idea
July 15, 2019
- Trichy Central Library brings written word alive for new audiences with a section for deaf readers
July 13, 2019
- Coimbatore City Municipal Corporation gets set to make buildings accessible
July 12, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines July 12, 2019 Al-Qaeda head calls for attack on J&K in video
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Karnataka government trust vote on Thursday
- Headlines July 15, 2019 ‘Chandrayaan 2’ launch called off after technical slag
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Kangana accuses media of defamation
- Events July 11, 2019 Ask Me Anything
- Headlines July 15, 2019 England wins 2019 World Cup trophy
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 Skills training programme for people with autism in Ernakulam
- Headlines July 12, 2019 Virat shares message with fans after loss
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Sibaji Panda is bringing Indian sign language to the forefront
- Headlines July 11, 2019 Karnataka political drama unfolds outside Mumbai hotel
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News