Engineering students create robot arm that can interpret sign language
February 22, 2018
A team of engineering students have created a robotic arm that can translate speech into sign language.
The robotic arm is a design known as the "Project Aslan" and is an inexpensive humanoid robot that translates speech into sign language and is a huge boon for people with hearing and speech impairments considering the shortage of sign language interpreters in the world.
Aslan stands for "Antwerp's Sign Language Actuating Node" and is the creation of three students at the University of Antwerp in Belgium.
The team hopes to break the barriers of communication hearing and the deaf people.
The robotic arm can act as a sign language interpreter when a deaf person needs to communicate with people who do not understand sign language.
The arm has been created with the help of 3D printing technology it can be created at low cost in more than 140 countries that have access to the technology.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Sensor-based device Saarthi is enabling blind people to move about independently
June 27, 2019
- New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
June 24, 2019
- #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
June 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports June 21, 2019 Ahead of Physical Disability World Series, allegations of bias against selectors
- Parasports June 23, 2019 Deaf shooter Dhanush Srikanth stuns the world with performance in regular category
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Injury scares hit Indian cricket team
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Making a difference – Quick Tips for budding social entrepreneurs
- Events June 26, 2019 Music therapy for special needs children
- Events June 20, 2019 Special buddies program (Intermediate group)
- Headlines June 23, 2019 Rahul Gandhi criticised for mocking Dog Squad yoga picture
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Growing number of fake disability certification rackets highlight need for stricter checks & action
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Salman to earn 400 crore from Bigg Boss 13
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News