Proposal to turn unused government buildings into homes for disabled elderly
The Commissioner for Differently Abled in Tamil Nadu has proposed to the state government that un-utilised government buildings in different parts of the state be used as homes for senior citizens with disabilities.
Arun Roy, who is the Commissioner for the Differently Abled in Tamil Nadu, has said that there are many government buildings that are left vacant because they are expanding offices to other buildings.
The proposal to turn these buildings into homes for the disabled was made at a meeting between the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment and Tamil Nadu officials. Funds from the central government will be used to renovate these buildings. They will be handed over to an organization registered under the Gharaunda trust.
Gharaunda is a central scheme under which NGOs registered under The National Trust can source up to Rs three lakh from the Centre to set up homes for adults with autism, cerebral palsy, and multiple disabilities who require long-term care. The government also gives Rs 1,000 per month for each person residing in these homes.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education November 14, 2018 Understanding the Learning Disability - Dyslexia
- Parasports November 15, 2018 Mumbai to play host to second wheelchair basketball camp in November
- Get-hooked November 20, 2018 This Bengaluru NGO leaves a good message to society
- Headlines November 19, 2018 Image of 'Statue of Unity' from space released by American company
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Congress fields Ashok Gehlot, Sachin Pilot in Rajasthan, no clarity on who will be CM
- Headlines November 18, 2018 Delhi on high alert after threat of terror attack
- Headlines November 16, 2018 School, colleges shut in parts of Tamil Nadu ahead of Cyclone Gaja
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 14, 2018
Get-hooked November 16, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 17, 2018