This travel app helps wheelchair users select the right hotel
February 24, 2018
Its called Access Earth and it aims to make travel easier for people on wheelchairs. The man behind the app is Matt McCann. A software engineer from Ireland, McCann is also a wheelchair user.
McCann decided to work on this app after he faced many challenges while trying to book accessible and wheelchair-friendly hotels when he traveled.
The app can be used to rate restaurants, hotels and tourist attractions around the world based on how accessible they are from their own experiences.
The information here tends to be genuine as it comes from people with mobility impairments. The information can be useful to others when it comes to planning their own trips.
The app has a simple format. It is a question-answer system that lists the accessibility options available at a place. All that users have to do is answer 'yes' or 'no' to questions about facilities like bathrooms, elevators, and stairs. There is also an option to write a review.
The information is vital for people who do not wish to rent a hotel with too many stairs or inaccessible toilets. At times, a hotel may be wheelchair friendly, but not offer any other facilities. This makes travel inconvenient and uncomfortable to disabled travellers.
The app aims to create an information bank for the physically disabled.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Gujarat on high alert for cyclone
- Headlines June 10, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Australia
- Events June 13, 2019 Workshop on Trust Deed and Support Circles for Special Needs
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Get-hooked June 10, 2019 Accept, Respect, Empower each other - Guest Column by Tapas Bharadwaj
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News