A sign language session that brings stories alive for deaf kids
February 25, 2018
"Tell us a story". This is a line most parents hear from their kids at bedtime. A pleasure many deaf kids miss out on because not too many of them may have parents who are able to tell them stories in sign language. Many studies show that deaf and hard-of-hearing children benefit immensely when parents read to them in sign language.
Now leading publisher HarperCollins Children's Books has announced that it will host a session to make the world of stories come alive for deaf and hard-of-hearing kids. The first reading will be held in New Delhi at the Mount Carmel School in Sector 22, Dwarka, on 27 February.
At the event, author Deepa Agarwal will read from her latest book, 'Sacked! Folktales You Can Carry Around'. There will be a sign language interpreter present who will translate the story for the children. There will be visual cues and stickers used to make the story telling come alive further..
Every child, with or without disability, loves stories. It fuels their creativity, imagination, and helps with bonding. Its high time more sessions like these are held to make reading and story telling an inclusive experience.
Read the event details: Book reading session for kids with hearing loss
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News