UGC & CBSE deny braille booklets to NET aspirants despite court order
February 27, 2018
In 2013, the Madras High Court had ordered that a Braille questionnaire should be provided to blind and vision impaired candidates appearing for the National Eligibility Test (NET).
However, this order has not been followed by the University Grants Commission as per its UGC-NET 2018 examination notifications.
Leading disability rights activist Dr Satendra Singh has now filed a petition against the denial of Braille booklets to people with disabilities in the UGC-NET 2018 examination.
Dr Singh, who is an associate professor at the University College of Medical Sciences and GTB Hospital in Delhi, has petitioned that an interim order be passed directing that Braille test booklets be provided in UGC-NET July 2018.
The petition has been filed before the Court of Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities-CCPD and calls for action to be taken as this is discrimination against candidates with vision impairments.
The petition cites the latest notification by CBSE for the UGC-NET for July 2018 regarding the examination rules and 'Provisions for persons with disability (including visually impaired candidates) with 40% or more disability'.
The notification mentions that "there is no provision of test booklets in Braille for visually impaired candidates".
Dr Singh claims that this is unfair to blind candidates and a contempt of court.
He has demanded that a maximum fine of Rs 5 lakh be imposed on both the UGC and CBSE.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Experts claim music therapy helps enhance critical skills in children with autism
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 From working for underprivileged kids to disability rights advocacy, Diksha wears many hats
- Headlines May 23, 2019 India launches new spy satellite
- Headlines May 24, 2019 PM Modi's victory speech - Key Highlights
- Headlines May 19, 2019 PM Modi responds to title of 'Divider in Chief'
- Get-hooked May 25, 2019 Some tips for making travel comfortable when you have a child with Down syndrome
- Headlines May 22, 2019 PM Modi pays tribute to Rajiv Gandhi on death anniversary
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 #BeingMom - Vinayana Khurana's creative side was enhanced by mother Neerja
- Headlines May 18, 2019 Irfan signs up for Carribean Premier League players draft
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Exit polls predict comfortable win for BJP
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News