UGC & CBSE deny braille booklets to NET aspirants despite court order
In 2013, the Madras High Court had ordered that a Braille questionnaire should be provided to blind and vision impaired candidates appearing for the National Eligibility Test (NET).
However, this order has not been followed by the University Grants Commission as per its UGC-NET 2018 examination notifications.
Leading disability rights activist Dr Satendra Singh has now filed a petition against the denial of Braille booklets to people with disabilities in the UGC-NET 2018 examination.
Dr Singh, who is an associate professor at the University College of Medical Sciences and GTB Hospital in Delhi, has petitioned that an interim order be passed directing that Braille test booklets be provided in UGC-NET July 2018.
The petition has been filed before the Court of Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities–CCPD and calls for action to be taken as this is discrimination against candidates with vision impairments.
The petition cites the latest notification by CBSE for the UGC-NET for July 2018 regarding the examination rules and ‘Provisions for persons with disability (including visually impaired candidates) with 40% or more disability’.
The notification mentions that “there is no provision of test booklets in Braille for visually impaired candidates”.
Dr Singh claims that this is unfair to blind candidates and a contempt of court.
He has demanded that a maximum fine of Rs 5 lakh be imposed on both the UGC and CBSE.
Watch in Sign Language
- Make classrooms friendly for children with ADHD
November 15, 2018
- Understanding the Learning Disability - Dyslexia
November 14, 2018
- MBBS entrance exam brochure makes no mention of modified rules for disabled candidates
November 2, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 18, 2018 Kerala shutdowns as Sabarimala open for ‘Mandala Kalam’
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Multiple Disabilities
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Samsung to launch smartphone with four rear cameras in India this month
- Events November 20, 2018 Basic Computer Training Program for Children & Adults with Special Needs
- Get-hooked November 16, 2018 Sexual assaults on disabled women to come under focus in Delhi convention
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Congress fields Ashok Gehlot, Sachin Pilot in Rajasthan, no clarity on who will be CM
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Marvel Comics creator Stan Lee dies at 95
- Accessibility November 16, 2018 Filmmaker Rustom Irani to explore legal options against Jet Airways for alleged manhandling on flight
- Parasports November 16, 2018 Help blind athletes achieve their best by funding sighted guides, says blind Paralympian Ankur Dhama
- Get-hooked November 20, 2018 Delhi government move to set up ministry for disabled people meets with cautious response
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 17, 2018