UGC & CBSE deny braille booklets to NET aspirants despite court order
February 27, 2018
In 2013, the Madras High Court had ordered that a Braille questionnaire should be provided to blind and vision impaired candidates appearing for the National Eligibility Test (NET).
However, this order has not been followed by the University Grants Commission as per its UGC-NET 2018 examination notifications.
Leading disability rights activist Dr Satendra Singh has now filed a petition against the denial of Braille booklets to people with disabilities in the UGC-NET 2018 examination.
Dr Singh, who is an associate professor at the University College of Medical Sciences and GTB Hospital in Delhi, has petitioned that an interim order be passed directing that Braille test booklets be provided in UGC-NET July 2018.
The petition has been filed before the Court of Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities-CCPD and calls for action to be taken as this is discrimination against candidates with vision impairments.
The petition cites the latest notification by CBSE for the UGC-NET for July 2018 regarding the examination rules and 'Provisions for persons with disability (including visually impaired candidates) with 40% or more disability'.
The notification mentions that "there is no provision of test booklets in Braille for visually impaired candidates".
Dr Singh claims that this is unfair to blind candidates and a contempt of court.
He has demanded that a maximum fine of Rs 5 lakh be imposed on both the UGC and CBSE.
Watch in Sign Language
- Delhi Disabilities Commissioner welcomes order setting up of Special Courts to try offences under RPWD Act 2016
August 23, 2019
- Disabled people push for need of accessible & disabled-friendly Indian Railways
August 23, 2019
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Telephone services, Internet partially back in J&K
- Parasports August 22, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Amidst hardships, Manoj Kumar pursues his love for sports with determination & hard work
- Headlines August 16, 2019 Virat Kohli sets new record
- Parasports August 20, 2019 “Never give up, live life to the fullest”- My Take by triple amputee & Trekker Sekhar Goud
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 "Love can be limitless if people recognise, accept and celebrate a person with a difference" - Jasmina Khanna
- Get-Hooked August 21, 2019 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Para shuttler Pramod Bhagat's Arjuna Award glory marred by lack of recognition for head coach
- Events August 21, 2019 Ageing with Grace Workshop for Seniors
- Headlines August 23, 2019 Amazon forest burns at record rate
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News