Escalators at Surat railway station make accessible travel a reality for elderly, disabled people
March 3, 2018
Goodbye to accessibility issues at Surat railway station! The Western Railways has launched new escalators to enable accessible travel for senior citizens and disabled people. This will help them reach different platforms of the station easily.
At the Old Parcel Office, there is an escalator near platform 1 to help passengers move to platforms 2, 3 and 4 easily. This comes as a huge relief to thousands of passengers who use the Surat railway station on a daily basis. A lift has also been built inside the railway station to bring accessible travel to people using wheelchairs.
The job of building escalators was earlier given to a contractor who was not working quickly. After complaints from commuters, the Western Railway decided to change the contractor and speed up the work.
Railway authorities claim passengers are extremely happy about the measures introduced to make accessible travel a reality.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 14, 2019 PM Modi tells ministers to get to work on time
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Wheelchair no barrier for a fit & healthy lifestyle, here's why
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
- Events June 13, 2019 Own Your Life- Session for Parents
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Outrage over Pakistani ad mocking Indian pilot
- Events June 11, 2019 Golden Eye Chef 2019
- Headlines June 14, 2019 India Vs New Zealand abandoned due to rain
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Seeking a friend or life partner? Register at this meet up
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News