How to make your office space inclusive for disabled employees
Offices and workspaces can be made accessible for employees with disabilities or for a disabled person, who is working from home independently.
All it takes is a little consideration and adequate use of resources to create an inclusive workplace.
Just a few things need to be kept in mind to understand the requirements of an accessible work area.
First, analyze the extent of disability and the basic working needs of the person with the disability.
Find out the extent of customization needed to enable the disabled person to work comfortably and independently.
A certain area is required for wheelchair users to move around easily. Find that out before you plan the layout of furniture such as tables, chairs, and file cabinets.
The width of the doorways should be enough to enable easy movement of mobility devices through them.
Conference or meeting rooms should be designed to optimize use of sound.
Contrasting colors on walls and floors can help people with low vision to better understand the layout of the area.
Keeping wires hidden and out of the way is important.
Use of technology is a must in an inclusive office. This includes speech-to-text technology, screen readers, to name a few.
There are so many things that can be done to make an office accessible for disabled people. All it needs is some effort and planning.
Watch in Sign Language
- Some tips to consider when working with a person who has Down syndrome
December 31, 2018
- AIIMS violates hiring norms for disabled people
December 29, 2018
- Workshop on barriers in recruitment faced by disabled people
December 26, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility January 10, 2019 Help The Blind Foundation is enabling people to reach new levels of excellence every day
- Accessibility January 16, 2019 Blind Faith Upgrade kit just the 1st step towards promoting accessibility, says Isobar India
- Accessibility January 13, 2019 Delhi government workshop for schools on inclusive education practices gets good response
- Accessibility January 11, 2019 Court issues notice to RBI & Centre over inaccessible currency plea
- Get-hooked January 11, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines January 13, 2019 Ranbir, Alia to get engaged this year
- Get-hooked January 15, 2019 Jisha’s journey with art is a story of determination, passion
- Get-hooked January 16, 2019 Disabled people in Goa accuse authorities of demanding full body pictures for disability certificates
- Accessibility January 10, 2019 Kerala government’s barrier-free tourism project reaches halfway mark
- Headlines January 15, 2019 Gujarat becomes first state to implement 10% reservation for general category
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News