How to make your office space inclusive for disabled employees
March 3, 2018
Offices and workspaces can be made accessible for employees with disabilities or for a disabled person, who is working from home independently.
All it takes is a little consideration and adequate use of resources to create an inclusive workplace.
Just a few things need to be kept in mind to understand the requirements of an accessible work area.
First, analyze the extent of disability and the basic working needs of the person with the disability.
Find out the extent of customization needed to enable the disabled person to work comfortably and independently.
A certain area is required for wheelchair users to move around easily. Find that out before you plan the layout of furniture such as tables, chairs, and file cabinets.
The width of the doorways should be enough to enable easy movement of mobility devices through them.
Conference or meeting rooms should be designed to optimize use of sound.
Contrasting colors on walls and floors can help people with low vision to better understand the layout of the area.
Keeping wires hidden and out of the way is important.
Use of technology is a must in an inclusive office. This includes speech-to-text technology, screen readers, to name a few.
There are so many things that can be done to make an office accessible for disabled people. All it needs is some effort and planning.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Pune centre builds awareness, stands up to the stigma around schizophrenia
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Meet the young adults with autism to get their fingers inked for the first time
- Headlines May 23, 2019 Election 2019 - Sensex at 40K as leads show 2nd term for PM Modi
- Headlines May 24, 2019 World leaders congratulate PM Modi
- Get-hooked May 27, 2019 Sports has many benefits for amputees, so go for it, say experts
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 'We have only one life, so live it to the fullest' - My Take by Krishnakumar PS
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Experts claim music therapy helps enhance critical skills in children with autism
- Employment May 27, 2019 Wheelchair users in Kerala unhappy over denial of scheme for self-employment
- Headlines May 26, 2019 #SidhuQuitPolitics trends on social media
- Headlines May 26, 2019 PM Modi biopic earns 3 crore
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News