How to make your office space inclusive for disabled employees
March 3, 2018
Offices and workspaces can be made accessible for employees with disabilities or for a disabled person, who is working from home independently.
All it takes is a little consideration and adequate use of resources to create an inclusive workplace.
Just a few things need to be kept in mind to understand the requirements of an accessible work area.
First, analyze the extent of disability and the basic working needs of the person with the disability.
Find out the extent of customization needed to enable the disabled person to work comfortably and independently.
A certain area is required for wheelchair users to move around easily. Find that out before you plan the layout of furniture such as tables, chairs, and file cabinets.
The width of the doorways should be enough to enable easy movement of mobility devices through them.
Conference or meeting rooms should be designed to optimize use of sound.
Contrasting colors on walls and floors can help people with low vision to better understand the layout of the area.
Keeping wires hidden and out of the way is important.
Use of technology is a must in an inclusive office. This includes speech-to-text technology, screen readers, to name a few.
There are so many things that can be done to make an office accessible for disabled people. All it needs is some effort and planning.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala government’s Kaivalya Project yet to take off, disability rights groups disappointed
March 18, 2019
- Saarathee's employees are showing India that disability is just a matter of perception
March 11, 2019
- Handicrops, India's first company founded by disabled people, set to spread outside Kerala
March 10, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 18, 2019 New Zealand attack - 3 men from Hyderabad among 50 killed
- Get-hooked March 24, 2019 Amazon move to remove books spreading misinformation about autism gets a thumbs up
- Accessibility March 21, 2019 A tactile toolkit that explains what periods are all about to girls with vision & hearing disabilities
- Accessibility March 22, 2019 Karnataka govt introduces accessibility features for elections, disability groups raise questions
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Global brand IKEA goes accessible, launches 3D printable furniture pieces
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 Disabled people share uncomfortable encounters on social media with hash tag #AbledsAreWeird
- Headlines March 22, 2019 Trailer of biopic PM Narendra Modi gets over one million views
- Get-hooked March 22, 2019 National award winner, dancer & sportsman, all-rounder Akshay inspires youngsters
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 "We all have a Javed Abidi inside us": Shameer Rishad talks about the Javed Abidi Foundation
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked March 21, 2019
Get-hooked March 16, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News