How to make your office space inclusive for disabled employees
March 3, 2018
Offices and workspaces can be made accessible for employees with disabilities or for a disabled person, who is working from home independently.
All it takes is a little consideration and adequate use of resources to create an inclusive workplace.
Just a few things need to be kept in mind to understand the requirements of an accessible work area.
First, analyze the extent of disability and the basic working needs of the person with the disability.
Find out the extent of customization needed to enable the disabled person to work comfortably and independently.
A certain area is required for wheelchair users to move around easily. Find that out before you plan the layout of furniture such as tables, chairs, and file cabinets.
The width of the doorways should be enough to enable easy movement of mobility devices through them.
Conference or meeting rooms should be designed to optimize use of sound.
Contrasting colors on walls and floors can help people with low vision to better understand the layout of the area.
Keeping wires hidden and out of the way is important.
Use of technology is a must in an inclusive office. This includes speech-to-text technology, screen readers, to name a few.
There are so many things that can be done to make an office accessible for disabled people. All it needs is some effort and planning.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
August 20, 2019
- #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
August 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility August 16, 2019 Independence Day honours for Infinity Park, Chennai's largest inclusive park for kids
- Events August 21, 2019 Vadhu Var Melawa
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Deepa Malik wins Khel Ratna
- Events August 21, 2019 GO PLAY - A Parent Education Program
- Parasports August 22, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Amidst hardships, Manoj Kumar pursues his love for sports with determination & hard work
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Alleged sexual harassment of child with autism in Kerala highlights need for tougher rules
- Lifestyle August 22, 2019 Kurtas for men - Feast your eyes on some amazing designs
- Education August 21, 2019 Happy Hands School is enabling deaf children in rural Odisha to learn in sign language
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 9 – Aug 16
- Get-Hooked August 16, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend 17 Aug-18 Aug
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News