Participation of India's physically disabled cricketers in 1st world cup looks uncertain
India's physically disabled cricketers may not take part in the first World Championship for this category to be held in 2019 in England.
There is uncertainty because India's physically disabled cricketers are not affiliated with the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
The England & Wales Cricket Board (ECB) is hosting the event between 16 to 31 July 2019. The BCCI has to confirm India's participation in the World Cup for the physically challenged by the end of 2018.
The head of the ECB has written an email to BCCI, the All India Cricket Association for the Physically Challenged (AICAPC), and the Physically Challenged Cricket Association of India (PCCAI) about this matter.
In the email, the ECB head has said that as per the rules, each team that takes part has to be a representative of the national cricket board. The ECB has written to the heads of Afghanistan, Pakistan and Bangladesh cricket boards seeking their confirmation.
No disability wing in Indian Cricket Board
Except for the BCCI, the three cricket boards Afghanistan, Pakistan and Bangladesh have a wing for disability cricket. The BCCI had held some meetings with the physically challenged cricket associations asking them to form one group before taking the category of disability cricket under its wing.
However, there has been no concrete progress in this for the last few years. Former India cricket captain, Ajit Wadekar, who is president of the AICAPC, has promised to start the process of including the physically challenged cricket associations under the BCCI.
Watch in Sign Language
- Disability Heroes - Why Javed Choudhari refuses to be defined by his disability
December 3, 2018
- Deaf-ICC World Cup T20 comes to an end, Lanka are champions
December 1, 2018
- 'Will keep running,' says blind marathoner Sporty Sikh ahead of 101st run
November 29, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 4, 2018 Smileys India bats for inclusion through art
- Get-hooked December 6, 2018 How disabled people can expedite their inclusion in society - Guest column by Turab Chimthanawala
- Employment December 6, 2018 Aarambh brings opportunities to disabled women, to train & to work
- Headlines December 6, 2018 Prime Minister Modi attends Priyanka-Nick’s reception party
- Accessibility December 10, 2018 Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
- Headlines December 3, 2018 Rajinikanth’s 2.0 break all records at Indian box office
- Headlines December 4, 2018 Jet Airways cancels 14 flights as pilots didn’t show up for work
- Headlines December 7, 2018 Priyanka Chopra article taken down after angry reactions on social media
- Headlines December 5, 2018 Five people arrested in killing of police officer at Uttar Pradesh
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Army jawan arrested in connection with Bulandshahr cop murder
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News