Spirit of inclusion comes alive in many colours at this Holi celebration in Delhi
Holi, the Festival of Colours, had an added glow and glitter at an event organized in Delhi by the NGOs Yes! We Can and Delhi Viklang Adhikar Manch. It was a lively bunch that gathered for an inclusive celebration, that had people with, and without disabilities.
Around 30 people were present at the inclusive Holi celebration. There was an interactive session to break the ice, followed by plenty of food and games. There was singing and dancing, and even a small game of antakshari. It all finally ended with an exchange of colours.
Every festival is celebrated with as much gusto by these two NGOs. The spirit is kept inclusive at every event. The idea is to create a platform where disabled people feel confident in a social environment.
The Delhi Viklang Adhikar Manch, an affiliate of the National Platform for the Rights of the Disabled (NPRD), works towards protecting and advancing the rights of disabled people in India. Its main role is advocacy with the Delhi government. The focus of Yes! We Can is towards pushing disability issues into the mainstream.
Yes! We Can is an organization that is working towards the visibility of disability, and creating an inclusive environment. We organize such events because we want entertainment and all festivals to be accessible to everyone - Meenu Arora, Founder, Yes! We Can
The idea was much appreciated by Samuel Mani, who has cerebral palsy. Mani, who heads a technology company, rarely gets the opportunity to socialize. Events like these are a rare chance to meet new people and form connections.
I felt amazing because this event gave me an opportunity to step out of my house, socialize and enjoy the Holi festival - Samuel Mani, Founder, Neutron Computers
Everyone agrees that such inclusive events are a great idea. Gagan, who is a deaf athlete, was happy to see the presence of a sign language interpreter.
We attended the event after completing a 21-km. We were surprised and happy when a person came up to us and interpreted the event. Everyone is very positive and welcoming - Gagan, Athlete
Clearly, the underlying spirit of Holi was well and truly alive at this celebration.
Watch in Sign Language
- This Bengaluru school is empowering women with disabilities for the job market
December 18, 2018
- How a trek led to the start of a larger journey - My Take by P Devendra, Founder, Nayan Foundation
December 18, 2018
- My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
December 17, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Zomato delivery boy sacked after video goes viral
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Senior BJP leader questions choice of new RBI governor, party embarrassed
- Technology December 17, 2018 Microsoft introduces real-time captions, translations to Skype, PowerPoint
- Parasports December 17, 2018 Nothing stops this blind cricketer from batting for inclusion into IPL
- Headlines December 12, 2018 United Kingdom court orders extradition of Vijay Mallya to India
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Election results from 5 states, massive disappointment for BJP
- Education December 18, 2018 Disabled students in West Bengal cheer move to reserve 5% seats in higher education
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 This Mumbai sports academy for disabled kids brings a spring to the steps & a smile
- Events December 17, 2018 Dementia Caregivers' Support Group Meet
- Events December 17, 2018 Tycoons Rotary Marathon
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018