Half of Tamil Nadu's government buildings to be made accessible for disabled people by 2019
The Tamil Nadu government has committed to making 74 government buildings in the state accessible for disabled people by 2019.
The government has appointed a team to look into this issue. The team has to submit a report in one month's time. Government-run hospitals, public schools, colleges and government buildings will be included.
People with disabilities have a difficult time when they enter these buildings. The state government has not taken the required measures under the Accessible India Campaign to make these buildings accessible for people with disabilities.
The State Commissioner for People with Disabilities V Arun Roy, has said that at least 50% of government buildings must be made accessible for disabled people by 2019. This move has come after a direct order from the Supreme Court.
Some of the main buildings that will be audited in Chennai are the Secretariat building, Government Multi-Super Specialty Hospital, Dr. MGR Medical University, University of Madras, Office of the Commissioner of Police, to name a few.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Technology February 21, 2019 Updated version of Avaz app has plenty to offer, enables access to wider audience
- Events February 21, 2019 In- Visible
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Pakistani actors and artists banned by Indian film industry
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019