Half of Tamil Nadu's government buildings to be made accessible for disabled people by 2019
March 3, 2018
The Tamil Nadu government has committed to making 74 government buildings in the state accessible for disabled people by 2019.
The government has appointed a team to look into this issue. The team has to submit a report in one month's time. Government-run hospitals, public schools, colleges and government buildings will be included.
People with disabilities have a difficult time when they enter these buildings. The state government has not taken the required measures under the Accessible India Campaign to make these buildings accessible for people with disabilities.
The State Commissioner for People with Disabilities V Arun Roy, has said that at least 50% of government buildings must be made accessible for disabled people by 2019. This move has come after a direct order from the Supreme Court.
Some of the main buildings that will be audited in Chennai are the Secretariat building, Government Multi-Super Specialty Hospital, Dr. MGR Medical University, University of Madras, Office of the Commissioner of Police, to name a few.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Calcutta High Court rules in favour of medical student with mental disorder who was denied admission
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Bus stops in Delhi to get audio facilities, says Delhi Transport Corporation
- Headlines April 12, 2019 First phase of 17th Loka Sabha elections completed
- Get-hooked April 12, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Don't play too safe with your money, look at ways to invest smartly
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News