Half of Tamil Nadu's government buildings to be made accessible for disabled people by 2019
March 3, 2018
The Tamil Nadu government has committed to making 74 government buildings in the state accessible for disabled people by 2019.
The government has appointed a team to look into this issue. The team has to submit a report in one month's time. Government-run hospitals, public schools, colleges and government buildings will be included.
People with disabilities have a difficult time when they enter these buildings. The state government has not taken the required measures under the Accessible India Campaign to make these buildings accessible for people with disabilities.
The State Commissioner for People with Disabilities V Arun Roy, has said that at least 50% of government buildings must be made accessible for disabled people by 2019. This move has come after a direct order from the Supreme Court.
Some of the main buildings that will be audited in Chennai are the Secretariat building, Government Multi-Super Specialty Hospital, Dr. MGR Medical University, University of Madras, Office of the Commissioner of Police, to name a few.
Watch in Sign Language
- Dehradun pool forced to grant equal access to disabled adults after official intervention
June 27, 2019
- Deaf Entertainment is bringing the magic of movies to new audiences
June 26, 2019
- Introduction of a wheelchair ramp might not be just what disability rights groups in Chennai asked for
June 26, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Chennai hit by worst water crisis
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 These school kids show all the potential of making it big in the world of art
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Finance Minister to present budget on 5 July
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
- Accessibility June 24, 2019 Buttons 2 Button is an adaptive clothing idea straight from a mom's heart
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Felt suicidal after India loss, says Pakistan cricket coach
- Technology June 24, 2019 New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Injury scares hit Indian cricket team
- Events June 20, 2019 Anxiety Disorders & Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News