Half of Tamil Nadu's government buildings to be made accessible for disabled people by 2019
The Tamil Nadu government has committed to making 74 government buildings in the state accessible for disabled people by 2019.
The government has appointed a team to look into this issue. The team has to submit a report in one month's time. Government-run hospitals, public schools, colleges and government buildings will be included.
People with disabilities have a difficult time when they enter these buildings. The state government has not taken the required measures under the Accessible India Campaign to make these buildings accessible for people with disabilities.
The State Commissioner for People with Disabilities V Arun Roy, has said that at least 50% of government buildings must be made accessible for disabled people by 2019. This move has come after a direct order from the Supreme Court.
Some of the main buildings that will be audited in Chennai are the Secretariat building, Government Multi-Super Specialty Hospital, Dr. MGR Medical University, University of Madras, Office of the Commissioner of Police, to name a few.
Watch in Sign Language
- Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
December 10, 2018
- Disability rights leader Satendra Singh challenges move to close probe into harassment faced during train travel
December 9, 2018
- Bengaluru’s Namma Pride gets a thumbs up for its accessibility features
December 9, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Top world celebs at Isha Ambani’s pre-wedding festivities
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Accessibility December 4, 2018 Big Bazaar leads the way with a Quiet Hour for shoppers on the autism spectrum, a World Disability Day special
- Employment December 3, 2018 Hyderabad meet looks at ways to use tech to enable disabled people at the workplace
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Kedarnath movie banned in 7 Uttarakhand districts
- Headlines December 3, 2018 Sushma Swaraj slams Pakistani minister for disrespecting Sikhs
- Employment December 5, 2018 Sign language interpreters at job interviews plays a crucial role. Here is why.
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Virat gets booed by fans in Australia, 'not done' says former Aussie player
- Get-hooked December 5, 2018 Disability Heroes - Deaf political candidate Sudeep Shukla is a sign of the changing times
- Get-hooked December 5, 2018 Fun, meaningful ways that World Disability Day was celebrated across India
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News