With Soundscape app, people who are blind or have low vision can explore the world
March 3, 2018
Microsoft has created an app called Soundscape that is empowering people who are blind or have low vision to explore the world around them. Its a research project available on iOS and iPhone in the United States and the United Kingdom.
Through a 3D audio experience, Soundscape app enriches the perception of one's surroundings. It helps the user get to where he or she wants to do. This is of great benefit for people with vision impairments, for whom going to meet friends, or exploring a new city can be a frightening experience.
The Soundscape app enables the user to set audio signals at familiar destinations or landmarks. It then uses 3D audio cues to improve the ambient awareness as the user makes his or her way to the destination.
By connecting a stereo headset, the user can explore the outdoor world with more independence. Due to the 3D audio, the user can build a mental image of what is around.
Soundscape has several useful features. This includes the ability to run in the background while other programs are being used. It can also be used along with other navigation support methods such as guide dogs and canes. Soundscape helps the user stay aware of their location by calling out roads and landmarks.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Headlines April 12, 2019 IPL 2019- CSK beats RR
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News