With Soundscape app, people who are blind or have low vision can explore the world
Microsoft has created an app called Soundscape that is empowering people who are blind or have low vision to explore the world around them. Its a research project available on iOS and iPhone in the United States and the United Kingdom.
Through a 3D audio experience, Soundscape app enriches the perception of one's surroundings. It helps the user get to where he or she wants to do. This is of great benefit for people with vision impairments, for whom going to meet friends, or exploring a new city can be a frightening experience.
The Soundscape app enables the user to set audio signals at familiar destinations or landmarks. It then uses 3D audio cues to improve the ambient awareness as the user makes his or her way to the destination.
By connecting a stereo headset, the user can explore the outdoor world with more independence. Due to the 3D audio, the user can build a mental image of what is around.
Soundscape has several useful features. This includes the ability to run in the background while other programs are being used. It can also be used along with other navigation support methods such as guide dogs and canes. Soundscape helps the user stay aware of their location by calling out roads and landmarks.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports November 9, 2018 First ever Blind Volley Ball Tournament to be held in Karnataka
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 Some shopping tips for blind people
- Technology November 12, 2018 Manovue glove opens doors to visually impaired people who do not know Braille
- Headlines November 8, 2018 Yogi Adityanath announces plans to build Ram statue in Ayodhya
- Get-hooked November 11, 2018 Some pre-school activities to improve well-being of disabled children
- Get-hooked November 10, 2018 Abhaya Care Foundation lends a helping hand to children with disabilities
- Headlines November 8, 2018 PM Modi spends Diwali at Kedarnath, meets soldiers on India-China border
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News