On World Hearing Day, focus on early detection of hearing loss for effective treatment
March 3, 2018
Today is marked as World Hearing Day across the world.
Its a day that the World Health Organization (WHO) is drawing attention towards the anticipated rise in the number of people with hearing loss across the world. The theme is Hear the future.
Experts advice that early detection of hearing problems is essential to prevent hearing and speech-related issues.
Hearing and speech are inter-related. A child with difficulty in listening will also have speech- related issues. He or she will not be able to speak clearly.
However, by detecting the problem at an early age, treatment can be done. This way hearing issues can be corrected.
This is why, cochlear implants are more effective when performed at an early age.
To detect loss of hearing in a person or child a simple machine is used.
It is called the Otto Acoustic Equipment (OAE). It helps detect hearing problems.
Countries like the United States and the United Kingdom have been using the OAE for several decades. The machine has come to India recently.
The cost of the device is Rs 2 lakh. It is very effective in successful detection of hearing-related disorders.
The device can help change the lives of thousands of children. It can help detect any hearing issues and get treatment and therapy on time.
The age between 0 to 3 years is considered the most critical when it comes to detection and correction of hearing loss.
In this period the child starts to identify the sounds and words in the surroundings and that helps in shaping the development of speech.
Experts say that when a baby is born, the mother and family members start talking to the child. This stimulates brain development in the child.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 25, 2019 RBI Deputy Governor resigns
- Headlines June 22, 2019 India deploys warships in view of US-Iran conflict
- Employment June 20, 2019 Karnataka's popular Mitti Cafe chain, manned entirely by disabled staff, set to expand to other cities
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 These school kids show all the potential of making it big in the world of art
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Salman to earn 400 crore from Bigg Boss 13
- Parasports June 23, 2019 Deaf shooter Dhanush Srikanth stuns the world with performance in regular category
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Afghanistan match was a lesson, says Virat
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Injury scares hit Indian cricket team
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Jharkhand mob lynching victim dies, five arrested
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Mamata Banerjee says ‘Super Emergency’ in India since Modi rule
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News