On World Hearing Day, focus on early detection of hearing loss for effective treatment
Today is marked as World Hearing Day across the world.
Its a day that the World Health Organization (WHO) is drawing attention towards the anticipated rise in the number of people with hearing loss across the world. The theme is Hear the future.
Experts advice that early detection of hearing problems is essential to prevent hearing and speech-related issues.
Hearing and speech are inter-related. A child with difficulty in listening will also have speech- related issues. He or she will not be able to speak clearly.
However, by detecting the problem at an early age, treatment can be done. This way hearing issues can be corrected.
This is why, cochlear implants are more effective when performed at an early age.
To detect loss of hearing in a person or child a simple machine is used.
It is called the Otto Acoustic Equipment (OAE). It helps detect hearing problems.
Countries like the United States and the United Kingdom have been using the OAE for several decades. The machine has come to India recently.
The cost of the device is Rs 2 lakh. It is very effective in successful detection of hearing-related disorders.
The device can help change the lives of thousands of children. It can help detect any hearing issues and get treatment and therapy on time.
The age between 0 to 3 years is considered the most critical when it comes to detection and correction of hearing loss.
In this period the child starts to identify the sounds and words in the surroundings and that helps in shaping the development of speech.
Experts say that when a baby is born, the mother and family members start talking to the child. This stimulates brain development in the child.
Watch in Sign Language
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
- Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
February 17, 2019
- #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
February 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajasthan Royals will wear pink this IPL season
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Parasports February 12, 2019 Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News