On World Hearing Day, focus on early detection of hearing loss for effective treatment
March 3, 2018
Today is marked as World Hearing Day across the world.
Its a day that the World Health Organization (WHO) is drawing attention towards the anticipated rise in the number of people with hearing loss across the world. The theme is Hear the future.
Experts advice that early detection of hearing problems is essential to prevent hearing and speech-related issues.
Hearing and speech are inter-related. A child with difficulty in listening will also have speech- related issues. He or she will not be able to speak clearly.
However, by detecting the problem at an early age, treatment can be done. This way hearing issues can be corrected.
This is why, cochlear implants are more effective when performed at an early age.
To detect loss of hearing in a person or child a simple machine is used.
It is called the Otto Acoustic Equipment (OAE). It helps detect hearing problems.
Countries like the United States and the United Kingdom have been using the OAE for several decades. The machine has come to India recently.
The cost of the device is Rs 2 lakh. It is very effective in successful detection of hearing-related disorders.
The device can help change the lives of thousands of children. It can help detect any hearing issues and get treatment and therapy on time.
The age between 0 to 3 years is considered the most critical when it comes to detection and correction of hearing loss.
In this period the child starts to identify the sounds and words in the surroundings and that helps in shaping the development of speech.
Experts say that when a baby is born, the mother and family members start talking to the child. This stimulates brain development in the child.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 How to help a person with autism feel calm
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News