On World Hearing Day, focus on early detection of hearing loss for effective treatment
Today is marked as World Hearing Day across the world.
Its a day that the World Health Organization (WHO) is drawing attention towards the anticipated rise in the number of people with hearing loss across the world. The theme is Hear the future.
Experts advice that early detection of hearing problems is essential to prevent hearing and speech-related issues.
Hearing and speech are inter-related. A child with difficulty in listening will also have speech- related issues. He or she will not be able to speak clearly.
However, by detecting the problem at an early age, treatment can be done. This way hearing issues can be corrected.
This is why, cochlear implants are more effective when performed at an early age.
To detect loss of hearing in a person or child a simple machine is used.
It is called the Otto Acoustic Equipment (OAE). It helps detect hearing problems.
Countries like the United States and the United Kingdom have been using the OAE for several decades. The machine has come to India recently.
The cost of the device is Rs 2 lakh. It is very effective in successful detection of hearing-related disorders.
The device can help change the lives of thousands of children. It can help detect any hearing issues and get treatment and therapy on time.
The age between 0 to 3 years is considered the most critical when it comes to detection and correction of hearing loss.
In this period the child starts to identify the sounds and words in the surroundings and that helps in shaping the development of speech.
Experts say that when a baby is born, the mother and family members start talking to the child. This stimulates brain development in the child.
Watch in Sign Language
- Health Problems in children with Autism
December 16, 2018
- Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
December 16, 2018
- 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
December 15, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 4% job reservation for disabled people announced in Goa
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Election results from 5 states, massive disappointment for BJP
- Accessibility December 10, 2018 Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Shaktikanta Das to succeed Urjit Patel as RBI governor
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Virat gets booed by fans in Australia, 'not done' says former Aussie player
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Badminton players Saina Nehwal and Parupalli Kashyap are married
- Education December 14, 2018 Sol's Arc is making the world a better place for children with disabilities
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Get set for an explosion of art & culture in accessible forms at the Serendipity Arts Festival
- Headlines December 16, 2018 Three terrorists & seven civilians killed at encounter in Jammu & Kashmir
- Employment December 11, 2018 Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018