On World Hearing Day, focus on early detection of hearing loss for effective treatment
Today is marked as World Hearing Day across the world.
Its a day that the World Health Organization (WHO) is drawing attention towards the anticipated rise in the number of people with hearing loss across the world. The theme is Hear the future.
Experts advice that early detection of hearing problems is essential to prevent hearing and speech-related issues.
Hearing and speech are inter-related. A child with difficulty in listening will also have speech- related issues. He or she will not be able to speak clearly.
However, by detecting the problem at an early age, treatment can be done. This way hearing issues can be corrected.
This is why, cochlear implants are more effective when performed at an early age.
To detect loss of hearing in a person or child a simple machine is used.
It is called the Otto Acoustic Equipment (OAE). It helps detect hearing problems.
Countries like the United States and the United Kingdom have been using the OAE for several decades. The machine has come to India recently.
The cost of the device is Rs 2 lakh. It is very effective in successful detection of hearing-related disorders.
The device can help change the lives of thousands of children. It can help detect any hearing issues and get treatment and therapy on time.
The age between 0 to 3 years is considered the most critical when it comes to detection and correction of hearing loss.
In this period the child starts to identify the sounds and words in the surroundings and that helps in shaping the development of speech.
Experts say that when a baby is born, the mother and family members start talking to the child. This stimulates brain development in the child.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports October 18, 2018 Prime Minister Modi meets India's Para Asian Games players
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Kerala shutdowns after protests in Sabarimala
- Parasports October 23, 2018 Mumbai to host first national throwball & swimming camp this week
- Parasports October 17, 2018 Deepak Malik's century gives India lead against Sri Lanka in Blind Cricket Twenty20 series
- Headlines October 18, 2018 Armed mobs attack women journalists near Sabrimala temple
- Headlines October 23, 2018 Kerala nun rape case - Key witness found dead, foul play alleged
- Get-hooked October 19, 2018 Cycling for children with autism, some information
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh will now be known as Prayagraj
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Protests in Sabarimala continues on fourth day
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Congress loses majority in Goa as 2 MLAs join BJP
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News