South African Sign Language is now an official language in the country's education system
The South African Sign Language (SASL) has been recognized as a home language in the country's education system by the government.
Disability rights activists are happy with the decision. They say that this means deaf learners in South Africa will no longer feel like foreigners in their own land. They can now exercise their rights to be taught and assessed in their own language.
Activists say that by recognizing SASL as a home language, deaf culture is now a fundamental part of South African culture.
Government authorities say that this is a sign that the system has fully embraced deaf learners. It is also a statement that their language is valued and respected.
Watch in Sign Language
- Prince Durairaj is on a mission to spread awareness on child sexual abuse
November 15, 2018
- Prayatna Counselling & Early Intervention Centre is on the journey of making a positive change
November 15, 2018
- First ever scientific study establishes the magical link between music & autism
November 14, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 9, 2018 Arunima Sinha, first female amputee to climb Mount Everest, gets honorary doctorate in the UK
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Congress fields Ashok Gehlot, Sachin Pilot in Rajasthan, no clarity on who will be CM
- Events November 12, 2018 Inclov Social Spaces Mumbai - New Year Celebration
- Headlines November 11, 2018 ‘Thugs of Hindostan’ crosses Rs 50 crore on first day of release
- Headlines November 9, 2018 'Thugs of Hindostan' movie review
- Get-hooked November 15, 2018 Prayatna Counselling & Early Intervention Centre is on the journey of making a positive change
- Headlines November 8, 2018 PM Modi spends Diwali at Kedarnath, meets soldiers on India-China border
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Supreme Court to hear review petitions for Sabarimala issue on 22 January
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Unni Maxx talks about his vacation at the paradise of South Africa
- Headlines November 11, 2018 Facebook launches TikTok like app called 'Lasso'
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 13, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 10, 2018