Former cricketer Virender Sehwag tells government to do more for Para athletes
March 6, 2018
Indians are huge fans of sports, especially cricket. But how often do we support Para athletes? Former cricketer Virender Sehwag has highlighted this issue.
Sehwag recently tweeted about the need to support Para badminton player Sanjeev Kumar. He said the government should assist Para athletes, who are struggling for financial aid.
Sanjeev Kumar has won medals at the World Paralympic Games and ranks seventh in the world. But it has been a struggle for him at every step. Lack of funds has been a big barrier to trying for the next level. The government has not supported him at all.
Kumar was even struggling to raise funds to buy a wheelchair so that he could take part in the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics. This is when Sehwag came to the rescue.
Gaurav Khanna, Director and Chief Coach at the Para-Badminton Association of India, says the government does not show any interest in supporting Para athletes. A few organizations are helping, like Go Sports Foundation, ONGC, Yonex, and Victor. They buy the Para athletes' wheelchairs and other essential equipment.
Para athletes, coaches, and organizers want the government to offer greater support so they can bring more medals and glory to India.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 No disability can come in the way of Swapna’s passion for art
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Anil Ambani pays dues, avoids jail term
- Headlines March 18, 2019 Goa CM Manohar Parrikar is no more
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Disability rights rules amended for people with high support needs
- Events March 20, 2019 Run 4 Autism Marathon- More details to come
- Parasports March 20, 2019 India on a roll at the 2019 Special Olympics World Games
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Global brand IKEA goes accessible, launches 3D printable furniture pieces
- Employment March 18, 2019 Kerala government’s Kaivalya Project yet to take off, disability rights groups disappointed
- Events March 20, 2019 On The Path To Success - My Journey With My Child
- Headlines March 20, 2019 One CRPF jawan killed, six others injured in naxal attack
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News