Former cricketer Virender Sehwag tells government to do more for Para athletes
March 6, 2018
Indians are huge fans of sports, especially cricket. But how often do we support Para athletes? Former cricketer Virender Sehwag has highlighted this issue.
Sehwag recently tweeted about the need to support Para badminton player Sanjeev Kumar. He said the government should assist Para athletes, who are struggling for financial aid.
Sanjeev Kumar has won medals at the World Paralympic Games and ranks seventh in the world. But it has been a struggle for him at every step. Lack of funds has been a big barrier to trying for the next level. The government has not supported him at all.
Kumar was even struggling to raise funds to buy a wheelchair so that he could take part in the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics. This is when Sehwag came to the rescue.
Gaurav Khanna, Director and Chief Coach at the Para-Badminton Association of India, says the government does not show any interest in supporting Para athletes. A few organizations are helping, like Go Sports Foundation, ONGC, Yonex, and Victor. They buy the Para athletes' wheelchairs and other essential equipment.
Para athletes, coaches, and organizers want the government to offer greater support so they can bring more medals and glory to India.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-Hooked August 21, 2019 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
- Events August 22, 2019 Ganesha Making Workshop
- Get-Hooked August 20, 2019 Inclusive Spotfix initiative to beauty Bangalore roads
- Accessibility August 26, 2019 Entrepreneur Prateeek Khandelwal’s accessibility campaign #RampMyCity spreads wings across India
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Death toll rises in monsoon fury at Himachal Pradesh
- Accessibility August 25, 2019 Blind student in Delhi threatened & robbed, Delhi Police slammed for failure to respond
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Indian para athletes hold the flag high at 2019 World Para Athletics Grand Prix
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Heavy rains bring down temperatures in Delhi
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News