Film about a deaf child wins Oscar, director gives acceptance speech in sign language
The Silent Child, a film about a deaf child, has won the Oscar for live-action short film.
The writer, Rachel Shenton, gave her acceptance speech in sign language. The film director, Chris Overton, joined Shenton onstage. Shenton said that she had promised the lead actress, Maisie Sly, that she would give her acceptance speech in sign.
Six-year-old Maisie plays the lead role in the film.
In her speech, Shenton highlighted the communication barriers that deaf and hard of hearing children face.
Our movie is about a deaf child being born into a world of silence. It’s not exaggerated or sensationalized for the movie. This is happening. Millions of children all over the world live in silence and face communication barriers and particularly access to education - Rachel Shenton, Writer, The Silent Child
Shenton called deafness a silent disability. It is not visible or life threatening. She thanked the jury for allowing them to put the film before a mainstream audience.
Watch in Sign Language
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
- Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
February 17, 2019
- #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
February 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 11, 2019 Valentine’s Day plans - NewzHook readers share some ideas
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Get-hooked February 11, 2019 Peranbu, a movie review - Guest column by A L Karpahaganesh
- Employment February 10, 2019 Program by DFID-UK, SCPwD & National Star College-UK equips trainers with strategies to promote workplace inclusion
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Accessibility February 11, 2019 Kerala government starts initiatives for inclusive elections
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019