Film about a deaf child wins Oscar, director gives acceptance speech in sign language
The Silent Child, a film about a deaf child, has won the Oscar for live-action short film.
The writer, Rachel Shenton, gave her acceptance speech in sign language. The film director, Chris Overton, joined Shenton onstage. Shenton said that she had promised the lead actress, Maisie Sly, that she would give her acceptance speech in sign.
Six-year-old Maisie plays the lead role in the film.
In her speech, Shenton highlighted the communication barriers that deaf and hard of hearing children face.
Our movie is about a deaf child being born into a world of silence. It’s not exaggerated or sensationalized for the movie. This is happening. Millions of children all over the world live in silence and face communication barriers and particularly access to education - Rachel Shenton, Writer, The Silent Child
Shenton called deafness a silent disability. It is not visible or life threatening. She thanked the jury for allowing them to put the film before a mainstream audience.
Watch in Sign Language
- Health Problems in children with Autism
December 16, 2018
- Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
December 16, 2018
- 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
December 15, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports December 16, 2018 Exciting cricket at 1st triangular blind cricket series for girls
- Parasports December 13, 2018 Wheelchair kabaddi set to make its presence felt in India
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Badminton players Saina Nehwal and Parupalli Kashyap are married
- Parasports December 11, 2018 Protest by Kerala para sportspersons to draw attention to struggle for facilities, funding
- Technology December 10, 2018 Bengaluru meet brings together key stakeholders working on indigenous assistive tech solutions
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Congress to form government in MP with Mayawati’s support
- Employment December 11, 2018 Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
- Get-hooked December 16, 2018 Health Problems in children with Autism
- Get-hooked December 16, 2018 Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Society attitudes are a big threat for development of children with disabilities
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018