New York is America's first city to offer ASL Direct to people who are deaf & hard of hearing
The New York City administration has announced the launch of ASL Direct.
ASL Direct refers to video technology that allows people who are deaf and hard of hearing to connect via webcam to an information specialist fluent in American Sign Language (ASL).
This makes New York City America's first city to offer this service.
ASL Direct will enable New York City residents, who mainly use ASL, to obtain city services faster and more efficiently. They can connect from any Android, Mac, iOS, or Windows device, via a link on the website of the Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities (MOPD).
The MOPD has worked with the Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications to implement this video technology.
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said that this was one step towards making the city, the fairest city, in the United States.
Becoming the fairest big city in America means ensuring equitable access to City services for all New Yorkers, including our Deaf and Hard of Hearing neighbors. Deaf and Hard of Hearing New Yorkers now have a one-stop shop for information, whether it’s how to find affordable housing, enroll in Pre-K, or where to get a flu shot. - Bill de Blasio, Mayor of New York
The video technology has been developed in close partnership with the deaf and hard of hearing community.
There are over two lakh people who are deaf and hard of hearing in New York City. Most of them communicate through ASL.
ASL Direct services are available 10 AM to 4 PM, Monday through Friday.
Watch in Sign Language
- Filmmaker Rustom Irani to explore legal options against Jet Airways for alleged manhandling on flight
November 16, 2018
- Lack of clarity on revised admission norms leaves disabled students & parents groping in the dark
November 15, 2018
- This music teacher's video tutorials are bringing songs alive for people who are deaf & hard of hearing
November 13, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Multiple Disabilities
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 New study links high pollution levels to autism, findings a cause for concern for Indian parents
- Education November 14, 2018 Understanding the Learning Disability - Dyslexia
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Samsung to launch smartphone with four rear cameras in India this month
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Air India pilot found drunk before flight
- Headlines November 11, 2018 ‘Thugs of Hindostan’ crosses Rs 50 crore on first day of release
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 Inclusive trek near Bengaluru brings visually impaired & sighted people together
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 Some activities for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Events November 15, 2018 BGFI's Accessible Tour to Mumbai Dockyard
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News