New York is America's first city to offer ASL Direct to people who are deaf & hard of hearing
March 6, 2018
The New York City administration has announced the launch of ASL Direct.
ASL Direct refers to video technology that allows people who are deaf and hard of hearing to connect via webcam to an information specialist fluent in American Sign Language (ASL).
This makes New York City America's first city to offer this service.
ASL Direct will enable New York City residents, who mainly use ASL, to obtain city services faster and more efficiently. They can connect from any Android, Mac, iOS, or Windows device, via a link on the website of the Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities (MOPD).
The MOPD has worked with the Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications to implement this video technology.
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said that this was one step towards making the city, the fairest city, in the United States.
Becoming the fairest big city in America means ensuring equitable access to City services for all New Yorkers, including our Deaf and Hard of Hearing neighbors. Deaf and Hard of Hearing New Yorkers now have a one-stop shop for information, whether it's how to find affordable housing, enroll in Pre-K, or where to get a flu shot. - Bill de Blasio, Mayor of New York
The video technology has been developed in close partnership with the deaf and hard of hearing community.
There are over two lakh people who are deaf and hard of hearing in New York City. Most of them communicate through ASL.
ASL Direct services are available 10 AM to 4 PM, Monday through Friday.
Watch in Sign Language
- PGIMER Chandigarh agrees to implement RPWD Act in 2019 prospectus for postgraduate medical students
March 25, 2019
- Best practice in early screening for deaf children in Mumbai - A study by The Stephen High School for the Deaf
March 22, 2019
- Kochi Muziris Biennale introduces Braille texts, becomes torch-bearers for inclusive art festivals
March 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 24, 2019 Kolkata school for kids with disabilities to stay shut until investigation into drowning death is over
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Parikkar given state funeral with military honours
- Get-hooked March 25, 2019 Dance therapy does wonders for disabled kids. Check it out
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 In enabling son Advait to unlock his potential, mom Smrithy came into her own as an empowered parent
- Headlines March 24, 2019 Jet Airways suspends flights to 13 international routes
- Headlines March 23, 2019 At least 47 killed, over 600 injured in explosion in China
- Events March 20, 2019 4th National Blind Football Tournament
- Parasports March 25, 2019 Sai Krishna, star athlete at Abu Dhabi Special Games, shattered after losing medal
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 #WonderWoman - Ketna Mehta is giving people with disabilities wings to fly
- Parasports March 20, 2019 India on a roll at the 2019 Special Olympics World Games
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News