Kochi, Kerala's most popular tourist spot, to be made barrier-free
People with disabilities can now look forward to a hassle-free vacation in Kochi, one of Kerala’s most popular tourist destinations! Seven tourist spots in Kochi are going to be made barrier-free by tourism authorities.
These are the Ernakulam boat jetty complex, Kuzhupilly, Cherai and Munambam beaches, Bhottathankettu, and the Prakrithi Gramam Park at Ezhattumugham.
The District Tourism Promotion Council in Ernakulam says it has received the funds needed for this initiative. Work on this will start within a month. More tourism spots will be made barrier-free as well at a later stage.
The initiative to make Kerala tourist spots barrier-free was launched in 2017. Rs 9 crore was sanctioned for the entire state. Of this Rs 44 lakh was given to Kochi. The project was first launched in Kerala in Kannur.
According to the Department of Tourism, around 3% of tourists to Kerala are people with disabilities.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines October 20, 2018 India take on West Indies in first of 5-match one day match series
- Headlines October 22, 2018 Amritsar train tragedy - Organisers go missing, police yet to identify accused
- Education October 20, 2018 Some ways to help kids with autism prepare for exams
- Parasports October 23, 2018 Mumbai to host first national throwball & swimming camp this week
- Parasports October 21, 2018 Amputees Vinod Rawat & Ashok Munne show their mettle in world's highest cross-country rally
- Get-hooked October 18, 2018 ALFAA centre for people with autism has a story of remarkable spirit behind it
- Events October 19, 2018 Knowledge sharing Open Session On Career Planning by BGFI
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Amitabh Bachchan to repay loan worth ₹5.5 crore for 850 farmers
- Get-hooked October 23, 2018 Hum-Drum, a participatory musical program for children with disabilities - My Take by Rzhude David
- Events October 18, 2018 ConneXion
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News