Kochi, Kerala's most popular tourist spot, to be made barrier-free
March 8, 2018
People with disabilities can now look forward to a hassle-free vacation in Kochi, one of Kerala's most popular tourist destinations! Seven tourist spots in Kochi are going to be made barrier-free by tourism authorities.
These are the Ernakulam boat jetty complex, Kuzhupilly, Cherai and Munambam beaches, Bhottathankettu, and the Prakrithi Gramam Park at Ezhattumugham.
The District Tourism Promotion Council in Ernakulam says it has received the funds needed for this initiative. Work on this will start within a month. More tourism spots will be made barrier-free as well at a later stage.
The initiative to make Kerala tourist spots barrier-free was launched in 2017. Rs 9 crore was sanctioned for the entire state. Of this Rs 44 lakh was given to Kochi. The project was first launched in Kerala in Kannur.
According to the Department of Tourism, around 3% of tourists to Kerala are people with disabilities.
Watch in Sign Language
- Western Railways’ monsoon helpdesks for disabled people, elderly are a winning idea
July 15, 2019
- Trichy Central Library brings written word alive for new audiences with a section for deaf readers
July 13, 2019
- Coimbatore City Municipal Corporation gets set to make buildings accessible
July 12, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events July 16, 2019 Living Well with Epilepsy: An Interactive Session
- Headlines July 15, 2019 England wins 2019 World Cup trophy
- Events July 11, 2019 Ask Me Anything
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Sibaji Panda is bringing Indian sign language to the forefront
- Employment July 12, 2019 These disabled women are making prosthetic aids that are enabling mobility for others
- Events July 11, 2019 Gala Dance Party
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 NGO Sreesh Mandiram was born out of a couple's experience coping with disability
- Technology July 16, 2019 Research offers hope for restoring sight in acid attack victims
- Events July 11, 2019 South Zone Regional Abilympics
- Events July 16, 2019 International Autism Conference
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News