Kochi, Kerala's most popular tourist spot, to be made barrier-free
March 8, 2018
People with disabilities can now look forward to a hassle-free vacation in Kochi, one of Kerala's most popular tourist destinations! Seven tourist spots in Kochi are going to be made barrier-free by tourism authorities.
These are the Ernakulam boat jetty complex, Kuzhupilly, Cherai and Munambam beaches, Bhottathankettu, and the Prakrithi Gramam Park at Ezhattumugham.
The District Tourism Promotion Council in Ernakulam says it has received the funds needed for this initiative. Work on this will start within a month. More tourism spots will be made barrier-free as well at a later stage.
The initiative to make Kerala tourist spots barrier-free was launched in 2017. Rs 9 crore was sanctioned for the entire state. Of this Rs 44 lakh was given to Kochi. The project was first launched in Kerala in Kannur.
According to the Department of Tourism, around 3% of tourists to Kerala are people with disabilities.
Watch in Sign Language
- Independence Day honours for Infinity Park, Chennai's largest inclusive park for kids
August 16, 2019
- Kerala floods underline critical need to frame inclusive disaster risk management policies
August 14, 2019
- “People with disabilities working in health care inform better care & access” – Dr Lisa Meeks
August 14, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-Hooked August 14, 2019 Inclusive art festival aims to uncover new opportunities for Bengaluru residents
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 9 – Aug 16
- Education August 12, 2019 A YouTuber by chance, Husna Ameen proves disability is no barrier to pursue dreams
- Events August 14, 2019 Touch For Health Level 1
- Headlines August 16, 2019 Virat Kohli sets new record
- Headlines August 18, 2019 ‘Mission Mangal’ gets grand opening at box office
- Events August 14, 2019 Adolescent Training and Sex Education Workshop
- Events August 14, 2019 Let your hands do the talking
- Parasports August 15, 2019 India triumph at Physical Disability World Cricket Series, will BCCI finally take note?
- Parasports August 13, 2019 “Government apathy towards para sports demotivates us” - MyTake by Ebin Joseph
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News