Kochi, Kerala's most popular tourist spot, to be made barrier-free
March 8, 2018
People with disabilities can now look forward to a hassle-free vacation in Kochi, one of Kerala's most popular tourist destinations! Seven tourist spots in Kochi are going to be made barrier-free by tourism authorities.
These are the Ernakulam boat jetty complex, Kuzhupilly, Cherai and Munambam beaches, Bhottathankettu, and the Prakrithi Gramam Park at Ezhattumugham.
The District Tourism Promotion Council in Ernakulam says it has received the funds needed for this initiative. Work on this will start within a month. More tourism spots will be made barrier-free as well at a later stage.
The initiative to make Kerala tourist spots barrier-free was launched in 2017. Rs 9 crore was sanctioned for the entire state. Of this Rs 44 lakh was given to Kochi. The project was first launched in Kerala in Kannur.
According to the Department of Tourism, around 3% of tourists to Kerala are people with disabilities.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
- Events April 18, 2019 Climb With ABBF
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Get-hooked April 12, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Accessibility April 12, 2019 Worthy of international medals, but "mentally unsound" to vote – Why this election will elude Asha Kiran home residents
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News