Kochi, Kerala's most popular tourist spot, to be made barrier-free
People with disabilities can now look forward to a hassle-free vacation in Kochi, one of Kerala’s most popular tourist destinations! Seven tourist spots in Kochi are going to be made barrier-free by tourism authorities.
These are the Ernakulam boat jetty complex, Kuzhupilly, Cherai and Munambam beaches, Bhottathankettu, and the Prakrithi Gramam Park at Ezhattumugham.
The District Tourism Promotion Council in Ernakulam says it has received the funds needed for this initiative. Work on this will start within a month. More tourism spots will be made barrier-free as well at a later stage.
The initiative to make Kerala tourist spots barrier-free was launched in 2017. Rs 9 crore was sanctioned for the entire state. Of this Rs 44 lakh was given to Kochi. The project was first launched in Kerala in Kannur.
According to the Department of Tourism, around 3% of tourists to Kerala are people with disabilities.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Parasports February 19, 2019 "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
- Events February 17, 2019 Mumbai Memory Cafe- Session 3
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Events February 21, 2019 In- Visible
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Technology February 21, 2019 Updated version of Avaz app has plenty to offer, enables access to wider audience
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Accessibility February 20, 2019 Kerala's disability rights groups gear up to challenge unjust road transport authorities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News