These wheelchair cricketers have some extraordinary stories to share
March 8, 2018
In February, a wheelchair cricket league was organized in Gurgaon by the Para Sports Foundation, a non-profit organization. The event was held to provide exposure to Para athletes.
Seventy-four cricketers with disabilities from across India took part in the event. And every one of them had incredible stories to share.
Their life has been full of struggle, but their passion for the game is unstoppable.
Take 27-year-old Sunil Kumar, who is educated and has a diploma in computers. Yet, he was never able to get a job because he uses a wheelchair. He was stuck with no options, when his friends suggested that he play cricket. Since the, his life has changed for good.
In the case of 28-year-old Irfan Haider, life changed dramatically when he was a young boy. He had to start working very early on in life after his father passed away. His cricket hero, Sachin Tendulkar's performance inspired him. That is how he decided to try his hand at cricket.
Like Sunil and Irfan, all the wheelchair cricketers have experiences to share about how cricket changed their lives.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Felt suicidal after India loss, says Pakistan cricket coach
- Employment June 27, 2019 Diya Innovations opens doors of opportunities for adults with disabilities
- Events June 20, 2019 Mental Health Session
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Afghanistan match was a lesson, says Virat
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Encephalitis deaths rise across Bihar, M.P under alert
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Panel to review ‘One Nation, One Election’ plan
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Chennai hit by worst water crisis
- Technology June 20, 2019 #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
- Education June 24, 2019 Inclusive Education - Challenges and Barriers - Guest column by Rukmini Krishnaswamy
- Accessibility June 22, 2019 With no hearing test facility at Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital, disabled students miss NEET counselling
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News