These wheelchair cricketers have some extraordinary stories to share
In February, a wheelchair cricket league was organized in Gurgaon by the Para Sports Foundation, a non-profit organization. The event was held to provide exposure to Para athletes.
Seventy-four cricketers with disabilities from across India took part in the event. And every one of them had incredible stories to share.
Their life has been full of struggle, but their passion for the game is unstoppable.
Take 27-year-old Sunil Kumar, who is educated and has a diploma in computers. Yet, he was never able to get a job because he uses a wheelchair. He was stuck with no options, when his friends suggested that he play cricket. Since the, his life has changed for good.
In the case of 28-year-old Irfan Haider, life changed dramatically when he was a young boy. He had to start working very early on in life after his father passed away. His cricket hero, Sachin Tendulkar's performance inspired him. That is how he decided to try his hand at cricket.
Like Sunil and Irfan, all the wheelchair cricketers have experiences to share about how cricket changed their lives.
Watch in Sign Language
- Disability Heroes - Why Javed Choudhari refuses to be defined by his disability
December 3, 2018
- Deaf-ICC World Cup T20 comes to an end, Lanka are champions
December 1, 2018
- 'Will keep running,' says blind marathoner Sporty Sikh ahead of 101st run
November 29, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 4% job reservation for disabled people announced in Goa
- Accessibility December 7, 2018 Come June 2019, Kolkata's historic Victoria Memorial promises to re-open in an accessible avatar
- Get-hooked December 6, 2018 Activities that can be fun & stimulating for kids with dyspraxia
- Headlines December 5, 2018 Australian fans criticize local media for insulting Indian cricketers
- Accessibility December 7, 2018 VaccesS 2018 an exhibition about innovative & latest assistive devices
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 Some tips for dating when you have a disability
- Get-hooked December 4, 2018 Disability Heroes - Virali Modi is open & proud about her disability
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 What makes them Disability Heroes - World Disability Day Special
- Get-hooked December 6, 2018 Disability Heroes - Neha Agarwal is opening corporate India’s eyes to the AB-ility in disability
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 Deaf people are gathering at Delhi's Jantar Mantar for a common cause
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News