These wheelchair cricketers have some extraordinary stories to share
In February, a wheelchair cricket league was organized in Gurgaon by the Para Sports Foundation, a non-profit organization. The event was held to provide exposure to Para athletes.
Seventy-four cricketers with disabilities from across India took part in the event. And every one of them had incredible stories to share.
Their life has been full of struggle, but their passion for the game is unstoppable.
Take 27-year-old Sunil Kumar, who is educated and has a diploma in computers. Yet, he was never able to get a job because he uses a wheelchair. He was stuck with no options, when his friends suggested that he play cricket. Since the, his life has changed for good.
In the case of 28-year-old Irfan Haider, life changed dramatically when he was a young boy. He had to start working very early on in life after his father passed away. His cricket hero, Sachin Tendulkar's performance inspired him. That is how he decided to try his hand at cricket.
Like Sunil and Irfan, all the wheelchair cricketers have experiences to share about how cricket changed their lives.
Watch in Sign Language
- "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
February 19, 2019
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Headlines February 21, 2019 Saudi Arabia Crown in India to strengthen ties
- Events February 21, 2019 Free Medical Camp
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Headlines February 21, 2019 Trump tells India & Pakistan to get along
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
- Headlines February 20, 2019 India Premier League season starts 23 March
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019
Get-hooked February 14, 2019