Sandeep Kumar, the paraplegic engineer who always dreams big
Sandeep Kumar’s story is the kind that inspires movies and books.
Kumar is paralyzed, but that has never stopped him from chasing his dreams. He works in the aviation industry, which is a high profile and demanding sector. Not only that, he also runs an NGO!
Kumar was seven years old when he fell ill and was hospitalized. A careless doctor injected him with a dose of penicillin that had expired. This changed Kumar’s life forever.
Kumar was in a coma for days. When he came out of it, his family thought he had recovered fully, and that the worst was over. However, they realized that he had become paralyzed. From then on, he had to start using a wheelchair.
Kumar went to do a degree in engineering from the Government College of Kanpur, and was hired by a top company. However, Kumar wanted more than just a regular a 9 to 5 job.
He decided to apply to Indigo Airlines. Within three months, he got an interview call and was hired to work at the Delhi airport.
Kumar’s role is to make sure that he helps disabled people check in smoothly for their flights. His work has been recognized and appreciated. Kumar won the Universal Design Award in 2015, given by the National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (NCPEDP) and Mphasis.
He is also committed to empowering disabled people in his personal capacity through his NGO, Ally Foundation.
Watch in Sign Language
- Health Problems in children with Autism
December 16, 2018
- Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
December 16, 2018
- 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
December 15, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events December 11, 2018 Annual Party Forum For Autism
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Virat gets booed by fans in Australia, 'not done' says former Aussie player
- Events December 13, 2018 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Events December 9, 2018 Mumbai Memory Cafe
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Army jawan arrested in connection with Bulandshahr cop murder
- Technology December 10, 2018 Bengaluru meet brings together key stakeholders working on indigenous assistive tech solutions
- Employment December 11, 2018 Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Kedarnath movie banned in 7 Uttarakhand districts
- Employment December 12, 2018 Visual impairment is no barrier to a successful career. Here are some tips
- Education December 14, 2018 Sol's Arc is making the world a better place for children with disabilities
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018