Sandeep Kumar, the paraplegic engineer who always dreams big
March 8, 2018
Sandeep Kumar's story is the kind that inspires movies and books.
Kumar is paralyzed, but that has never stopped him from chasing his dreams. He works in the aviation industry, which is a high profile and demanding sector. Not only that, he also runs an NGO!
Kumar was seven years old when he fell ill and was hospitalized. A careless doctor injected him with a dose of penicillin that had expired. This changed Kumar's life forever.
Kumar was in a coma for days. When he came out of it, his family thought he had recovered fully, and that the worst was over. However, they realized that he had become paralyzed. From then on, he had to start using a wheelchair.
Kumar went to do a degree in engineering from the Government College of Kanpur, and was hired by a top company. However, Kumar wanted more than just a regular a 9 to 5 job.
He decided to apply to Indigo Airlines. Within three months, he got an interview call and was hired to work at the Delhi airport.
Kumar's role is to make sure that he helps disabled people check in smoothly for their flights. His work has been recognized and appreciated. Kumar won the Universal Design Award in 2015, given by the National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (NCPEDP) and Mphasis.
He is also committed to empowering disabled people in his personal capacity through his NGO, Ally Foundation.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 12, 2019 Court fines Bengal government for film ban
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
- Events April 15, 2019 NALS Adventure Camp
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Headlines April 13, 2019 Share funding details, court tells political parties
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Headlines April 12, 2019 IPL 2019- CSK beats RR
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News