Sandeep Kumar, the paraplegic engineer who always dreams big
Sandeep Kumar’s story is the kind that inspires movies and books.
Kumar is paralyzed, but that has never stopped him from chasing his dreams. He works in the aviation industry, which is a high profile and demanding sector. Not only that, he also runs an NGO!
Kumar was seven years old when he fell ill and was hospitalized. A careless doctor injected him with a dose of penicillin that had expired. This changed Kumar’s life forever.
Kumar was in a coma for days. When he came out of it, his family thought he had recovered fully, and that the worst was over. However, they realized that he had become paralyzed. From then on, he had to start using a wheelchair.
Kumar went to do a degree in engineering from the Government College of Kanpur, and was hired by a top company. However, Kumar wanted more than just a regular a 9 to 5 job.
He decided to apply to Indigo Airlines. Within three months, he got an interview call and was hired to work at the Delhi airport.
Kumar’s role is to make sure that he helps disabled people check in smoothly for their flights. His work has been recognized and appreciated. Kumar won the Universal Design Award in 2015, given by the National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (NCPEDP) and Mphasis.
He is also committed to empowering disabled people in his personal capacity through his NGO, Ally Foundation.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Kerala shutdowns after protests in Sabarimala
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Bollywood celebrity manager accused in #MeToo movement attempts suicide
- Get-hooked October 20, 2018 Chaarana Centre for Special Needs is a haven for disabled children in Bengaluru
- Employment October 19, 2018 An informative ‘Career Planning’ session for visually impaired people
- Accessibility October 22, 2018 Making gardening fun for wheelchair users
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Tips to handle noise sensitivity in children with autism
- Technology October 20, 2018 Microsoft pledge to develop EdTech for dyslexic students has great potential for India
- Headlines October 20, 2018 59 people dead as train runs them over in Amritsar
- Get-hooked October 21, 2018 Indian Sign Language gets to wider audience, thanks to GiftAbled Foundation
- Parasports October 23, 2018 India whitewash Sri Lanka, win T20 series 5-0
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked October 17, 2018
Get-hooked October 19, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News