Sandeep Kumar, the paraplegic engineer who always dreams big
Sandeep Kumar’s story is the kind that inspires movies and books.
Kumar is paralyzed, but that has never stopped him from chasing his dreams. He works in the aviation industry, which is a high profile and demanding sector. Not only that, he also runs an NGO!
Kumar was seven years old when he fell ill and was hospitalized. A careless doctor injected him with a dose of penicillin that had expired. This changed Kumar’s life forever.
Kumar was in a coma for days. When he came out of it, his family thought he had recovered fully, and that the worst was over. However, they realized that he had become paralyzed. From then on, he had to start using a wheelchair.
Kumar went to do a degree in engineering from the Government College of Kanpur, and was hired by a top company. However, Kumar wanted more than just a regular a 9 to 5 job.
He decided to apply to Indigo Airlines. Within three months, he got an interview call and was hired to work at the Delhi airport.
Kumar’s role is to make sure that he helps disabled people check in smoothly for their flights. His work has been recognized and appreciated. Kumar won the Universal Design Award in 2015, given by the National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (NCPEDP) and Mphasis.
He is also committed to empowering disabled people in his personal capacity through his NGO, Ally Foundation.
Watch in Sign Language
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
- Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
February 17, 2019
- #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
February 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Events February 10, 2019 4th All India Deaf Fine And Craft Festival
- Headlines February 11, 2019 ‘Gully Boy’ screened at Berlin Film Festival, gets positive reviews
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Munambam Beach in Kerala all set to become disabled-friendly
- Events February 10, 2019 Cerebral Palsy at Bhopal and Varanasi 2019
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Get-hooked February 10, 2019 Teen art prodigy Ansh's stunning watercolours show maturity, individuality
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019