Sandeep Kumar, the paraplegic engineer who always dreams big
March 8, 2018
Sandeep Kumar's story is the kind that inspires movies and books.
Kumar is paralyzed, but that has never stopped him from chasing his dreams. He works in the aviation industry, which is a high profile and demanding sector. Not only that, he also runs an NGO!
Kumar was seven years old when he fell ill and was hospitalized. A careless doctor injected him with a dose of penicillin that had expired. This changed Kumar's life forever.
Kumar was in a coma for days. When he came out of it, his family thought he had recovered fully, and that the worst was over. However, they realized that he had become paralyzed. From then on, he had to start using a wheelchair.
Kumar went to do a degree in engineering from the Government College of Kanpur, and was hired by a top company. However, Kumar wanted more than just a regular a 9 to 5 job.
He decided to apply to Indigo Airlines. Within three months, he got an interview call and was hired to work at the Delhi airport.
Kumar's role is to make sure that he helps disabled people check in smoothly for their flights. His work has been recognized and appreciated. Kumar won the Universal Design Award in 2015, given by the National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (NCPEDP) and Mphasis.
He is also committed to empowering disabled people in his personal capacity through his NGO, Ally Foundation.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 23, 2019 Certificate Course on Down Syndrome
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
- Accessibility June 24, 2019 Buttons 2 Button is an adaptive clothing idea straight from a mom's heart
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Afghanistan match was a lesson, says Virat
- Education June 21, 2019 American College in Madurai introduces disability studies in syllabus
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Driving change in attitudes towards disability in Jammu-Kashmir - My Take by Dildar Ahmad Shapoo
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Encephalitis deaths rise across Bihar, M.P under alert
- Events June 26, 2019 Sign Language Workshop
- Accessibility June 22, 2019 With no hearing test facility at Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital, disabled students miss NEET counselling
- Parasports June 21, 2019 Ahead of Physical Disability World Series, allegations of bias against selectors
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News