Elderly blind man designs hybrid cane that helps to maintain balance
March 10, 2018
Many blind people use a white cane to move around. The cane helps them to detect obstacles in their path.
However, the white cane is not as effective when it comes to maintaining balance. This can be dangerous.
93-year-old Marty Osman, who is blind, faced this difficulty. He was advised to walk using two canes. One was to maintain balance, while the other was the white cane.
Osman was not happy using two canes, as he could not hold anything else in his hands.
Osman, who used to be an engineer in the United States Army, decided to create a cane to address the problem. He called it a Fall Preventer.
The Fall Preventer is a hybrid between a support cane and a white stick. The stick has a 360-degree stabilizing rubber tip, that helps the user maintain balance.
Osman is all set to sell the cane through Amazon as he wants to help other elderly people.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events July 11, 2019 Inclusive Art Therapy Workshop
- Get-hooked July 10, 2019 Spirited & strong minded, Preetha Thonnakkal lives life to the fullest
- Education July 9, 2019 Online petition seeks rehab of deaf youth affected by closing down of training centre
- Technology July 16, 2019 Research offers hope for restoring sight in acid attack victims
- Headlines July 12, 2019 India celebrates with Dutee Chand
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 Parenting corner - Autism and Aggression
- Headlines July 15, 2019 Press Club of India supports media boycott of Kangana
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News