Elderly blind man designs hybrid cane that helps to maintain balance
Many blind people use a white cane to move around. The cane helps them to detect obstacles in their path.
However, the white cane is not as effective when it comes to maintaining balance. This can be dangerous.
93-year-old Marty Osman, who is blind, faced this difficulty. He was advised to walk using two canes. One was to maintain balance, while the other was the white cane.
Osman was not happy using two canes, as he could not hold anything else in his hands.
Osman, who used to be an engineer in the United States Army, decided to create a cane to address the problem. He called it a Fall Preventer.
The Fall Preventer is a hybrid between a support cane and a white stick. The stick has a 360-degree stabilizing rubber tip, that helps the user maintain balance.
Osman is all set to sell the cane through Amazon as he wants to help other elderly people.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajasthan Royals will wear pink this IPL season
- Events February 12, 2019 World Women's Day
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Get-hooked February 11, 2019 Peranbu, a movie review - Guest column by A L Karpahaganesh
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 14, 2019
Get-hooked February 17, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News