Supreme Court of Nepal allows amputees, blind climbers to scale Mt Everest
March 8, 2018
The Supreme Court of Nepal has issued a stay order on the ban that stopped disabled climbers from scaling mountains in the country, including Mt Everest.
The Supreme Court order now allows double amputees and blind climbers to get climbing permits.
These permits are needed, when disabled climbers attempt to climb any mountain above 6,500 metres, such as the Mt Everest.
The Nepal government had recently issued an order that barred double amputees and blind people from attempting to climb these mountains..
The ban had been strongly criticized by disability rights activists and climbers.
A petition was then filed against the Nepal government, citing the ban as a violation of human rights. It was also called a violation of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
The ban was considered discriminatory by climbers and activists. The Nepal government received widespread criticism from all corners of the world.
The decision of the Supreme Court has been welcomed by disability rights activists.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Understanding Deafblindness
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Nippon Paint launches SAHYOG programme to empower youth with disabilities
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Finance Minister to present budget on 5 July
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Growing number of fake disability certification rackets highlight need for stricter checks & action
- Employment June 20, 2019 Karnataka's popular Mitti Cafe chain, manned entirely by disabled staff, set to expand to other cities
- Parasports June 23, 2019 Deaf shooter Dhanush Srikanth stuns the world with performance in regular category
- Get-hooked June 26, 2019 Nationwide contest seeks to unearth and showcase talented blind cooks
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Making a difference – Quick Tips for budding social entrepreneurs
- Education June 24, 2019 Inclusive Education - Challenges and Barriers - Guest column by Rukmini Krishnaswamy
- Events June 20, 2019 Certificate course in Assistive Technology Solutions
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News