Tourism Ministry announces many steps to make holiday destinations accessible for disabled people
March 9, 2018
The Ministry of Tourism has announced the following steps to make tourist destinations friendlier for people with disabilities.
- Swadesh Darshan or PRASHAD (National Mission on Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual, Heritage Augmentation Drive) - All state governments and union territories will have to give an undertaking that a barrier-free environment for disabled tourists has been included in the design of built up areas of the project. The agency executing the project will have to put in place required facilities for barrier-free access for people with physical disabilities.
- A National Tourism Award for Best Maintained and Disabled-Friendly Monument will be given to encourage agencies responsible for maintaining monuments to create an accessible, barrier-free environment.
- There are guidelines issued for classifying hotels under two provisions. One, a specially designed room with accessible bathroom and furniture. Two, accessible washrooms and ramps with anti-slip floors to allow wheelchair access to public areas, and at least one restaurant.
The Tourism Ministry had come up with a report on the problems faced by disabled tourists. Some of them were:
- Lack of accessible taxis and local transport facilities.
- Lack of proper information and signages at necessary point and intersection.
- Lack of affordable and accessible accommodation.
- Lack of accessible public conveniences at destination.
Watch in Sign Language
- Dehradun pool forced to grant equal access to disabled adults after official intervention
June 27, 2019
- Deaf Entertainment is bringing the magic of movies to new audiences
June 26, 2019
- Introduction of a wheelchair ramp might not be just what disability rights groups in Chennai asked for
June 26, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Driving change in attitudes towards disability in Jammu-Kashmir - My Take by Dildar Ahmad Shapoo
- Headlines June 26, 2019 11 arrested in Jharkhand lynching case
- Events June 20, 2019 Special buddies program (Intermediate group)
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Understanding Deafblindness
- Events June 26, 2019 Music therapy for special needs children
- Education June 21, 2019 American College in Madurai introduces disability studies in syllabus
- Parasports June 20, 2019 Sonakshi Sinha likely to play the part of Paralympian Deepa Malik
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Felt suicidal after India loss, says Pakistan cricket coach
- Parasports June 27, 2019 Bengaluru to play host to national blind football tournament
- Headlines June 23, 2019 ‘Kabir Singh’ becomes fourth-highest opener of 2019
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News