Tourism Ministry announces many steps to make holiday destinations accessible for disabled people
March 9, 2018
The Ministry of Tourism has announced the following steps to make tourist destinations friendlier for people with disabilities.
- Swadesh Darshan or PRASHAD (National Mission on Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual, Heritage Augmentation Drive) - All state governments and union territories will have to give an undertaking that a barrier-free environment for disabled tourists has been included in the design of built up areas of the project. The agency executing the project will have to put in place required facilities for barrier-free access for people with physical disabilities.
- A National Tourism Award for Best Maintained and Disabled-Friendly Monument will be given to encourage agencies responsible for maintaining monuments to create an accessible, barrier-free environment.
- There are guidelines issued for classifying hotels under two provisions. One, a specially designed room with accessible bathroom and furniture. Two, accessible washrooms and ramps with anti-slip floors to allow wheelchair access to public areas, and at least one restaurant.
The Tourism Ministry had come up with a report on the problems faced by disabled tourists. Some of them were:
- Lack of accessible taxis and local transport facilities.
- Lack of proper information and signages at necessary point and intersection.
- Lack of affordable and accessible accommodation.
- Lack of accessible public conveniences at destination.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Headlines April 13, 2019 Share funding details, court tells political parties
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 Shubhajit aims to enter history books as first double arm amputee to complete Bengaluru-Ladakh bike ride
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News