Fittle, the 3D Braille puzzle, is helping blind children read Braille quickly
Fittle is the world’s first 3D printed braille puzzle, which is open source. It is helping children, who are blind or have low vision, in India learn to read braille quickly and efficiently.
India has a population of 22 million people who are visually impaired. Many of them are unable to find jobs. The ability to read braille gives them a chance to become independent.
By learning how to read Braille, a blind person's chances of studying further and finding a good job increase by as much as three times.
The problem is that learning Braille is expensive. A digital braille reading device can cost over Rs 60,000. This means that most blind people in developing countries have to manage with learning tools that are outdated and boring to use.
A project in India is trying to change this. It has devised a braille learning tool, called Fittle. Fittle is more accessible, cheaper, and interesting to use.
Fittle is the world’s first 3D printed braille puzzle
Fittles are available to download for free from the Fittle website. These files can then be printed for a cheap cost. They are hollow so the material usage is cheaper.
How Fittle works
Every part of the Fittle puzzle has a different letter. Its connected parts spell out a complete word. What is creative and ingenious is that the overall puzzle takes the shape of what is being spelled.
Marks on the pieces help the learner figure out how to fit them together. Once they are in place, it’s possible to read and learn the word.
Fittle is the work of Indian designer Tania Jain. Jain has been partnering with LVPEI, a leading eye institute in India, Ravensburger, a German educational toy company, and Serviceplan, a global communication group.
The puzzles are being printed and distributed across India.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 10, 2019 Understanding Rare Diseases
- Get-hooked February 10, 2019 Understanding Misophonia
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Get-hooked February 10, 2019 Mammootty watches latest film 'Peranbu' with disabled kids at Kochi theatre
- Events February 12, 2019 Empowering for Inclusion Summit 2019
- Parasports February 13, 2019 Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 12, 2019
Get-hooked February 9, 2019
Get-hooked February 8, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019