Deaf artist Apoorv Om urges United Nations to promote a digital revolution of inclusion
Apoorv Om, a young deaf artist from New Delhi, has asked the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) to create a revolution of inclusion for the deaf by using advances in digital technology.
The President of UNGA, Miroslav Lajcak, assured Om that he would do his best to promote the inclusion of disabled people in all walks of life, and at the UN.
Om met with President Lajcak at the UN this week. He presented him with a portrait that he had drawn of him.
Om, who studies architecture in Delhi, is also an activist, who advocates for the inclusiveness of disabled people.
Om said he wanted to make people aware of the possibilities of e-world's technological devices to enable inclusion of people with disabilities, especially deaf people, in society.
Digital technologies can promote education in an inclusive setting for all with disabled people and the others studying together. However, Om said that not enough was being done to make them available everywhere.
The rights of disabled people and the promotion of their inclusiveness is part of the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
To show the digital possibilities for the deaf, Om used a mobile phone app on which he typed his part of the conversation, while it converted Lajcak's spoken part into text for him to read.
Om has drawn portraits of several international leaders and presented to them in his campaign for disabled people. They include former UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, and Ronny Abraham, the president of the World Court.
Watch in Sign Language
- This Bengaluru school is empowering women with disabilities for the job market
December 18, 2018
- How a trek led to the start of a larger journey - My Take by P Devendra, Founder, Nayan Foundation
December 18, 2018
- My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
December 17, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some useful Information about Angelman Syndrome
- Events December 17, 2018 Workshop on Concessions and Benefits for Children with Hearing Loss
- Get-hooked December 18, 2018 How a trek led to the start of a larger journey - My Take by P Devendra, Founder, Nayan Foundation
- Events December 12, 2018 Planet Abled Barrier Free Skiing Adventure 2019
- Events December 17, 2018 Dementia Caregivers' Support Group Meet
- Accessibility December 18, 2018 Chennai's largest inclusive children's playground has something unique for everyone
- Parasports December 17, 2018 Nothing stops this blind cricketer from batting for inclusion into IPL
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Zomato delivery boy sacked after video goes viral
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Senior BJP leader questions choice of new RBI governor, party embarrassed
- Technology December 17, 2018 Microsoft introduces real-time captions, translations to Skype, PowerPoint
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018