Deaf artist Apoorv Om urges United Nations to promote a digital revolution of inclusion
Apoorv Om, a young deaf artist from New Delhi, has asked the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) to create a revolution of inclusion for the deaf by using advances in digital technology.
The President of UNGA, Miroslav Lajcak, assured Om that he would do his best to promote the inclusion of disabled people in all walks of life, and at the UN.
Om met with President Lajcak at the UN this week. He presented him with a portrait that he had drawn of him.
Om, who studies architecture in Delhi, is also an activist, who advocates for the inclusiveness of disabled people.
Om said he wanted to make people aware of the possibilities of e-world's technological devices to enable inclusion of people with disabilities, especially deaf people, in society.
Digital technologies can promote education in an inclusive setting for all with disabled people and the others studying together. However, Om said that not enough was being done to make them available everywhere.
The rights of disabled people and the promotion of their inclusiveness is part of the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
To show the digital possibilities for the deaf, Om used a mobile phone app on which he typed his part of the conversation, while it converted Lajcak's spoken part into text for him to read.
Om has drawn portraits of several international leaders and presented to them in his campaign for disabled people. They include former UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, and Ronny Abraham, the president of the World Court.
Watch in Sign Language
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
- Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
February 17, 2019
- #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
February 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Ticket prices reduced for India’s fastest train
- Headlines February 11, 2019 ‘Gully Boy’ screened at Berlin Film Festival, gets positive reviews
- Get-hooked February 11, 2019 Peranbu, a movie review - Guest column by A L Karpahaganesh
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Headlines February 10, 2019 Impure alcohol kills 82 in U.P, Uttarakhand
- Events February 12, 2019 World Women's Day
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajinikanth’s daughter Soundarya gets married
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News