Odisha colleges to establish disability study departments
The Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities (PwDs), Dr Kamlesh Kumar Pandey, has directed the government of Odisha to establish a Department of Disabilities Studies (DDS) in all universities in the state. This is to prepare professionals in the field of rehabilitation and special education.
At a recent review meeting with the state officials, the Chief Commissioner has suggested that a DDS or study center be established in at least one university, if its not possible to establish it in all universities right away. This will help in giving professional education to people interested in disabilities’ studies.
Dr Pandey said that a training institute to produce special educators in the state is also recommended. This would promote inclusive education to disabled children.
The Odisha government has appointed a full-time State Commissioner. However, important activities like district review, monitoring of funds given by the government, and mobile courts are affected due to shortage of staff.
Dr Pandey said there was a need to strengthen the office of the State Commissioner by appointing one Deputy Commissioner, Legal Officer, and other staff.
The State Commissioner has been urged to work closely with the Odisha Health Department to facilitate the issuing of disability certificates to eligible people. Around 60% certificates have been issued in Odisha until now.
Dr Pandey said that the state government also needs to generate awareness about different aspects of persons with disabilities, various schemes of the central and state governments, their rights, educational opportunities, and skill development up to panchayat level.
The Odisha government has been asked to increase the amount of disability pension, establish eye banks in all five medical colleges, implement more schemes for rehabilitation of disabled people, and come up with a policy for cochlear implantation for children with hearing impairments.
Watch in Sign Language
- 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
December 15, 2018
- Get set for an explosion of art & culture in accessible forms at the Serendipity Arts Festival
December 15, 2018
- Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
December 15, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 11, 2018 India celebrates first Test win in Australia in 10 years
- Parasports December 13, 2018 Wheelchair kabaddi set to make its presence felt in India
- Accessibility December 10, 2018 Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
- Get-hooked December 9, 2018 Stay healthy & fit in a wheelchair. Here's how
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some benefits of yoga for children with autism
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Badminton players Saina Nehwal and Parupalli Kashyap are married
- Employment December 11, 2018 Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
- Events December 11, 2018 Annual Party Forum For Autism
- Employment December 15, 2018 Staff from schools for disabled kids protest against government apathy in Kerala
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 This Mumbai sports academy for disabled kids brings a spring to the steps & a smile
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News