Odisha colleges to establish disability study departments
The Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities (PwDs), Dr Kamlesh Kumar Pandey, has directed the government of Odisha to establish a Department of Disabilities Studies (DDS) in all universities in the state. This is to prepare professionals in the field of rehabilitation and special education.
At a recent review meeting with the state officials, the Chief Commissioner has suggested that a DDS or study center be established in at least one university, if its not possible to establish it in all universities right away. This will help in giving professional education to people interested in disabilities’ studies.
Dr Pandey said that a training institute to produce special educators in the state is also recommended. This would promote inclusive education to disabled children.
The Odisha government has appointed a full-time State Commissioner. However, important activities like district review, monitoring of funds given by the government, and mobile courts are affected due to shortage of staff.
Dr Pandey said there was a need to strengthen the office of the State Commissioner by appointing one Deputy Commissioner, Legal Officer, and other staff.
The State Commissioner has been urged to work closely with the Odisha Health Department to facilitate the issuing of disability certificates to eligible people. Around 60% certificates have been issued in Odisha until now.
Dr Pandey said that the state government also needs to generate awareness about different aspects of persons with disabilities, various schemes of the central and state governments, their rights, educational opportunities, and skill development up to panchayat level.
The Odisha government has been asked to increase the amount of disability pension, establish eye banks in all five medical colleges, implement more schemes for rehabilitation of disabled people, and come up with a policy for cochlear implantation for children with hearing impairments.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
- Get-hooked February 20, 2019 Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Get-hooked February 21, 2019 Know more about the Race For 7 to mark International Rare Disease Day
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Get-hooked February 21, 2019 ‘Punarjani’ gives new lease of life to disabled flood victims in Kerala
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 9, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019