Odisha colleges to establish disability study departments
March 13, 2018
The Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities (PwDs), Dr Kamlesh Kumar Pandey, has directed the government of Odisha to establish a Department of Disabilities Studies (DDS) in all universities in the state. This is to prepare professionals in the field of rehabilitation and special education.
At a recent review meeting with the state officials, the Chief Commissioner has suggested that a DDS or study center be established in at least one university, if its not possible to establish it in all universities right away. This will help in giving professional education to people interested in disabilities' studies.
Dr Pandey said that a training institute to produce special educators in the state is also recommended. This would promote inclusive education to disabled children.
The Odisha government has appointed a full-time State Commissioner. However, important activities like district review, monitoring of funds given by the government, and mobile courts are affected due to shortage of staff.
Dr Pandey said there was a need to strengthen the office of the State Commissioner by appointing one Deputy Commissioner, Legal Officer, and other staff.
The State Commissioner has been urged to work closely with the Odisha Health Department to facilitate the issuing of disability certificates to eligible people. Around 60% certificates have been issued in Odisha until now.
Dr Pandey said that the state government also needs to generate awareness about different aspects of persons with disabilities, various schemes of the central and state governments, their rights, educational opportunities, and skill development up to panchayat level.
The Odisha government has been asked to increase the amount of disability pension, establish eye banks in all five medical colleges, implement more schemes for rehabilitation of disabled people, and come up with a policy for cochlear implantation for children with hearing impairments.
Watch in Sign Language
- Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
April 20, 2019
- Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
April 20, 2019
- #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
April 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 How to help a person with autism feel calm
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
- Events April 18, 2019 Climb With ABBF
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Second voting phase-Key points
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News