Insensitivity of officials makes it hard for students with disabilities in Assam
March 13, 2018
Students with disabilities in Assam say they face many barriers when it comes to pursuing their dreams of a higher education.
This is because many university authorities do not give these students the benefits offered to students with disabilities. Students' say these issues have been raised from time to time, but there has been no change on the ground.
For instance, the guidelines of the University Grants Commission (UGC) say, there should be a 5% relaxation in marks for candidates belonging to certain groups, which include people with disabilities. But university officials do not give these facilities.Many exam candidates have also complained that they were denied proper facilities and extra time as per the guidelines that have emerged in recent years.
This causes disaapointment among disabled students, as well as poor academic performance. In 2017, four blind candidates from Jorhat Blind School had a rude shock when they were told they would not get the extra four hours to write their exams. At another center, blind students were given only 20 minutes of extra time.
Disability rights groups say there is a need to change the attitude of education board officials from the top down.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 25, 2019 RBI Deputy Governor resigns
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Chennai hit by worst water crisis
- Events June 27, 2019 Thalassemia Detection Camp
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Jharkhand mob lynching victim dies, five arrested
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Zakker Hussain’s relentless commitment to social work is admired by many people
- Headlines June 24, 2019 India dismissed report on rising religious tensions
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Finance Minister to present budget on 5 July
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News