Insensitivity of officials makes it hard for students with disabilities in Assam
Students with disabilities in Assam say they face many barriers when it comes to pursuing their dreams of a higher education.
This is because many university authorities do not give these students the benefits offered to students with disabilities. Students’ say these issues have been raised from time to time, but there has been no change on the ground.
For instance, the guidelines of the University Grants Commission (UGC) say, there should be a 5% relaxation in marks for candidates belonging to certain groups, which include people with disabilities. But university officials do not give these facilities.Many exam candidates have also complained that they were denied proper facilities and extra time as per the guidelines that have emerged in recent years.
This causes disaapointment among disabled students, as well as poor academic performance. In 2017, four blind candidates from Jorhat Blind School had a rude shock when they were told they would not get the extra four hours to write their exams. At another center, blind students were given only 20 minutes of extra time.
Disability rights groups say there is a need to change the attitude of education board officials from the top down.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines October 23, 2018 Uttar Pradesh politician's wife arrested on suspicion of killing son
- Get-hooked October 19, 2018 This Bengaluru NGO looks to nature to improve the wellbeing of disabled kids
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Animal lovers protest against decision to shoot down tigress Avni
- Employment October 19, 2018 An informative ‘Career Planning’ session for visually impaired people
- Headlines October 20, 2018 India take on West Indies in first of 5-match one day match series
- Events October 17, 2018 Inclusive Dandiya Nite
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Kerala shutdowns after Sabarimala protests intensifies
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility October 16, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News