Insensitivity of officials makes it hard for students with disabilities in Assam
Students with disabilities in Assam say they face many barriers when it comes to pursuing their dreams of a higher education.
This is because many university authorities do not give these students the benefits offered to students with disabilities. Students’ say these issues have been raised from time to time, but there has been no change on the ground.
For instance, the guidelines of the University Grants Commission (UGC) say, there should be a 5% relaxation in marks for candidates belonging to certain groups, which include people with disabilities. But university officials do not give these facilities.Many exam candidates have also complained that they were denied proper facilities and extra time as per the guidelines that have emerged in recent years.
This causes disaapointment among disabled students, as well as poor academic performance. In 2017, four blind candidates from Jorhat Blind School had a rude shock when they were told they would not get the extra four hours to write their exams. At another center, blind students were given only 20 minutes of extra time.
Disability rights groups say there is a need to change the attitude of education board officials from the top down.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Modi flags off Vande Bharat Express, India’s fastest train
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Accessibility February 20, 2019 63 government websites now accessible for disabled people, claims Centre. Not enough, says experts
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
- Events February 21, 2019 Free Medical Camp
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility February 11, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019
Get-hooked February 7, 2019