Insensitivity of officials makes it hard for students with disabilities in Assam
March 13, 2018
Students with disabilities in Assam say they face many barriers when it comes to pursuing their dreams of a higher education.
This is because many university authorities do not give these students the benefits offered to students with disabilities. Students' say these issues have been raised from time to time, but there has been no change on the ground.
For instance, the guidelines of the University Grants Commission (UGC) say, there should be a 5% relaxation in marks for candidates belonging to certain groups, which include people with disabilities. But university officials do not give these facilities.Many exam candidates have also complained that they were denied proper facilities and extra time as per the guidelines that have emerged in recent years.
This causes disaapointment among disabled students, as well as poor academic performance. In 2017, four blind candidates from Jorhat Blind School had a rude shock when they were told they would not get the extra four hours to write their exams. At another center, blind students were given only 20 minutes of extra time.
Disability rights groups say there is a need to change the attitude of education board officials from the top down.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable deaf voters make an informed choice
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Road to getting disability certificates filled with barriers for hemophilia patients
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 #AutismPower - Arun Prasad inspires young people with autism to live life independently
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News