Read about the various types of hearing loss
March 13, 2018
Loss of hearing can affect anyone at any age. So it is important to be informed about what the various types of hearing loss are, and how they are caused.
There are three types of hearing loss:
- Sensorineural hearing loss - This is the most common form. It affects 23% of people over the age 65 years. Sensorineural hearing loss occurs when the inner ear, or cochlea, is damaged. The damage can be caused due to age, loud noise, or certain medications.
- Conductive hearing loss - This occurs when there is a problem in the middle ear and its little bones. In most cases, this occurs during birth. This can be corrected with surgery. Some of the other causes are infections, trauma, or cold or allergies. Cold or allergies lead to the build-up of a fluid in the ear.
- Mixed hearing loss - This occurs due to the presence of conductive hearing loss and sensorineural hearing loss. In this case there is damage in the inner and middle ear.
Experts say that it is important to take care of the ears. Do not ignore signs of hearing loss. Timely detection can help with corrective action.
In case you feel your hearing is not as strong as it used to be, get yourself checked by a doctor.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Events April 22, 2019 Learn to manage your own career
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Vir Chakra recommended for Air Force pilot
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Parasports April 23, 2019 'Playing golf gives me satisfaction, makes me happy' - My Take by Ankush Saha, para golfer
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News