Read about the various types of hearing loss
Loss of hearing can affect anyone at any age. So it is important to be informed about what the various types of hearing loss are, and how they are caused.
There are three types of hearing loss:
• Sensorineural hearing loss - This is the most common form. It affects 23% of people over the age 65 years. Sensorineural hearing loss occurs when the inner ear, or cochlea, is damaged. The damage can be caused due to age, loud noise, or certain medications.
• Conductive hearing loss – This occurs when there is a problem in the middle ear and its little bones. In most cases, this occurs during birth. This can be corrected with surgery. Some of the other causes are infections, trauma, or cold or allergies. Cold or allergies lead to the build-up of a fluid in the ear.
• Mixed hearing loss – This occurs due to the presence of conductive hearing loss and sensorineural hearing loss. In this case there is damage in the inner and middle ear.
Experts say that it is important to take care of the ears. Do not ignore signs of hearing loss. Timely detection can help with corrective action.
In case you feel your hearing is not as strong as it used to be, get yourself checked by a doctor.
Watch in Sign Language
- This Bengaluru school is empowering women with disabilities for the job market
December 18, 2018
- How a trek led to the start of a larger journey - My Take by P Devendra, Founder, Nayan Foundation
December 18, 2018
- My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
December 17, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 17, 2018 Indian skipper Virat Kohli strikes 25th test hundred against Australia in style
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Shaktikanta Das to succeed Urjit Patel as RBI governor
- Headlines December 18, 2018 Congress leader jailed for life in anti-Sikh riots case
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Praangan is meeting educational needs of children with disorders
- Get-hooked December 17, 2018 My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Supreme Court orders that there should be no further investigation on Rafale deal
- Events December 17, 2018 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Events December 17, 2018 Workshop on Concessions and Benefits for Children with Hearing Loss
- Education December 18, 2018 Disabled students in West Bengal cheer move to reserve 5% seats in higher education
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Election results from 5 states, massive disappointment for BJP
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018