Read about the various types of hearing loss
March 13, 2018
Loss of hearing can affect anyone at any age. So it is important to be informed about what the various types of hearing loss are, and how they are caused.
There are three types of hearing loss:
- Sensorineural hearing loss - This is the most common form. It affects 23% of people over the age 65 years. Sensorineural hearing loss occurs when the inner ear, or cochlea, is damaged. The damage can be caused due to age, loud noise, or certain medications.
- Conductive hearing loss - This occurs when there is a problem in the middle ear and its little bones. In most cases, this occurs during birth. This can be corrected with surgery. Some of the other causes are infections, trauma, or cold or allergies. Cold or allergies lead to the build-up of a fluid in the ear.
- Mixed hearing loss - This occurs due to the presence of conductive hearing loss and sensorineural hearing loss. In this case there is damage in the inner and middle ear.
Experts say that it is important to take care of the ears. Do not ignore signs of hearing loss. Timely detection can help with corrective action.
In case you feel your hearing is not as strong as it used to be, get yourself checked by a doctor.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Headlines June 10, 2019 Dhoni gets government support on gloves issue
- Education June 13, 2019 #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
- Events June 13, 2019 Decoding Dementia
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Dark Pheonix brings alive the magic of Stan Lee's superheroes yet again
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 MCI requirement for double certification puts disabled medical aspirants under undue stress
- Events June 17, 2019 Indian Freedom Struggle through a musical play
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News