Lt Colonel Gaurav Dutta, India’s only para-triathlete, now trains national-level players
Lieutenant Colonel Gaurav Dutta is the only para-triathlete in India today. He has participated in over 12 events across the globe. Now he is motivating other disabled athletes to excel at sports.
His line-up of students is long. Most of them are gold medal winners.
Being a sportsman is no easy task. It takes a lot of practice, will-power and determination. Being a para-triathlete takes three times the effort!
Colonel Dutta also works closely with the Artificial Limb Centre in Pune. He helps former-military personnel, who have sustained severe injuries during duty, like he did.
Colonel Dutta lost his legs in a freak accident near Srinagar. He was brought down to Pune for further treatment. Having been an athlete all his life, Dutta was determined not to let his disability interrupt his life as a sportsperson.
When the doctor told him that he would start walking in a few months, Colonel Dutta asserted that he was going to run!
Being inside a hospital for 10 months is not easy. He was worried about lay ahead.
His personal experiences make him a great motivational speaker as well. He has taken on the responsibility of inspiring disabled sportspersons through his story so they have a positive attitude.
Watch in Sign Language
- "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
February 19, 2019
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility February 20, 2019 Kerala's disability rights groups gear up to challenge unjust road transport authorities
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
- Headlines February 20, 2019 Two jets crash ahead of Bengaluru Aero India event, one pilot dies
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019
Get-hooked February 14, 2019