Paralympic gold medalist Mike Schultz designs amazing prosthetics for other athletes
March 15, 2018
Snowboarder Mike Schultz is a gold medal-winning Paralympian. He carried the flag for the United States during the opening ceremony of the Winter Paralympics that are currently going on in South Korea.
Schultz is no longer an active sportsman. Instead, he is using his own experiences to design prosthetics. He has designed them for hundreds of other athletes and amputees, including 30 Paralympians at the ongoing Games.
He launched his company BioDapt in 2010, soon after he lost a leg in a snowmobile accident. After recovery, he wanted to go back to riding his dirt bikes and snowmobiles. Since the available prosthetics for athletes were not designed to handle the impact of the sports, he decided to design them himself.
Schultz soon started competing at events, wearing the prosthetics he had designed. The prosthetics include a knee joint, called Moto Knee and a foot, called Versa Foot.
The Moto Knee is unique as it offers a wider range of motion as compared to other prosthetics. It can work for many more activities as its components can be improved and adjusted.
Schultz works with extreme adaptive athletes to adjust the Moto Knee and Versa Foot system to what they need. Schultz's prosthetics are being used by all American lower-body amputees competing at the Winter Olympics.
Schultz works personally with most of his clients to adjust the prosthetics to their needs.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Court order paves way for woman without fingerprints to get Aadhaar card
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 #AutismPower - Arun Prasad inspires young people with autism to live life independently
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News