50 government buildings in Indore inaccessible for disabled people
March 16, 2018
An audit by the Social Justice Department in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, has found that most of the government buildings here are not accessible for disabled people.
This includes schools, colleges, gardens, government offices, hospitals, theatres, and auditoriums.
Under the Accessible India campaign launched in 2016, a commitment was made to ensure that all buildings in Indore would be made accessible for people with disabilities.
The central government had set a deadline of July 2016, by which time authorities had to audit buildings that are accessible to disabled people. Steps had to be taken to ensure that necessary changes were made to ensure accessibility.
Details of the final audit, that is going on currently, will be sent to the central government.
Madhya Pradesh government officials say that there has been a delay from the central government in the sanctioning of funds. They claim that if the funds had been allotted on time, many buildings could have been made accessible for people with disabilities.
Watch in Sign Language
- Western Railways’ monsoon helpdesks for disabled people, elderly are a winning idea
July 15, 2019
- Trichy Central Library brings written word alive for new audiences with a section for deaf readers
July 13, 2019
- Coimbatore City Municipal Corporation gets set to make buildings accessible
July 12, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Sibaji Panda is bringing Indian sign language to the forefront
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 An instinctive, nurturing approach enables this music teacher to unearth talents in disabled students
- Education July 17, 2019 Kerala High Court upholds guidelines for therapy centres in the state
- Events July 11, 2019 Cell Therapy: A Unique Approach at Treating Cerebral Palsy & GDD
- Events July 16, 2019 International Autism Conference
- Headlines July 14, 2019 Middle order batsman failed, causing India's collapse, says coach
- Headlines July 12, 2019 Virat shares message with fans after loss
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Freedom Carnival 2019 celebrates inclusion with children with disabilities
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 Some tips to help a child with Down syndrome sleep better
- Get-hooked July 17, 2019 Relief for deaf youth studying at Bengaluru technical training centre
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News