50 government buildings in Indore inaccessible for disabled people
An audit by the Social Justice Department in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, has found that most of the government buildings here are not accessible for disabled people.
This includes schools, colleges, gardens, government offices, hospitals, theatres, and auditoriums.
Under the Accessible India campaign launched in 2016, a commitment was made to ensure that all buildings in Indore would be made accessible for people with disabilities.
The central government had set a deadline of July 2016, by which time authorities had to audit buildings that are accessible to disabled people. Steps had to be taken to ensure that necessary changes were made to ensure accessibility.
Details of the final audit, that is going on currently, will be sent to the central government.
Madhya Pradesh government officials say that there has been a delay from the central government in the sanctioning of funds. They claim that if the funds had been allotted on time, many buildings could have been made accessible for people with disabilities.
Watch in Sign Language
- Wheelchair taxi service Ezy Mov is set to go places
October 21, 2018
- Mumbai bookstore Trilogy is helping to spread the word about Braille
October 19, 2018
- Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
October 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines October 18, 2018 Armed mobs attack women journalists near Sabrimala temple
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Bollywood celebrity manager accused in #MeToo movement attempts suicide
- Technology October 17, 2018 Regional language dyslexia screening tool, DALI, now available as an app
- Parasports October 18, 2018 India beat Sri Lanka to win T20 series
- Headlines October 20, 2018 India take on West Indies in first of 5-match one day match series
- Accessibility October 14, 2018 Savlon's new Braille enabled pack gets a big thumbs up. Will other brands follow?
- Get-hooked October 18, 2018 Staying fit with a disability is easy, here are some tips
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 Supreme Court raps Haryana government for denying disabled students' MBBS admission
- Parasports October 16, 2018 Aiming for gold in 2020 Paralympics, Asian Para Games gold medalist Ekta Bhyan tells Newz Hook
- Get-hooked October 21, 2018 Inclusion should begin early to build greater understanding & awareness, say experts
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility October 21, 2018
Accessibility October 15, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News