50 government buildings in Indore inaccessible for disabled people
March 16, 2018
An audit by the Social Justice Department in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, has found that most of the government buildings here are not accessible for disabled people.
This includes schools, colleges, gardens, government offices, hospitals, theatres, and auditoriums.
Under the Accessible India campaign launched in 2016, a commitment was made to ensure that all buildings in Indore would be made accessible for people with disabilities.
The central government had set a deadline of July 2016, by which time authorities had to audit buildings that are accessible to disabled people. Steps had to be taken to ensure that necessary changes were made to ensure accessibility.
Details of the final audit, that is going on currently, will be sent to the central government.
Madhya Pradesh government officials say that there has been a delay from the central government in the sanctioning of funds. They claim that if the funds had been allotted on time, many buildings could have been made accessible for people with disabilities.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
April 21, 2019
- In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
April 20, 2019
- CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
April 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Accessibility April 21, 2019 Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News