Left disabled in an accident, Prajith Jaipal is on a drive to empower others with disabilities
Seven years ago, 40-year-old Prajith Jaipal from Kozhikode, Kerala, met with a car accident that left him with a disability. On 1 April 2018, Jaipal plans to mark the seventh anniversary of this incident in an unusual way.
Jaipal has bounced back to life with 70% medical disability. He wants to travel to New Delhi on 1 April in his modified car. His mission is to convince potential private employers to explore the talents of disabled people.
He will cover the distance of 8,500 kilometers by taking different routes. He will interact with the maximum number of employers who can support his cause. Jaipal has lined up 10 meeting points so far. There are many inspirational gatherings planned by clubs and voluntary organizations as well.
Jaipal, who is a commerce graduate, lost his job after the accident. He has been preparing for his journey with the support of friends and well-wishers at the Rotary Club and Junior Chamber of India.
The modified car has been prepared for the journey by a disabled man from Malappuram. A mechanic and a caretaker will accompany Jaipal during the drive.
The group will reach Delhi on 24 April. They hope to meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi before the return trip in the first week of May. They plan to ask him to increase the monthly pension for disabled people.
Thanks to Jaipal efforts, the district administration in Kozhikode has agreed to set up disabled-friendly entrances on the Kozhikode main beach and the South Beach.
Watch in Sign Language
- Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
February 20, 2019
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Kashmir Valley shuts down after terror attack
- Headlines February 20, 2019 India Premier League season starts 23 March
- Accessibility February 18, 2019 Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
- Accessibility February 20, 2019 63 government websites now accessible for disabled people, claims Centre. Not enough, says experts
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Ticket prices reduced for India’s fastest train
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019
Get-hooked February 14, 2019