Left disabled in an accident, Prajith Jaipal is on a drive to empower others with disabilities
March 20, 2018
Seven years ago, 40-year-old Prajith Jaipal from Kozhikode, Kerala, met with a car accident that left him with a disability. On 1 April 2018, Jaipal plans to mark the seventh anniversary of this incident in an unusual way.
Jaipal has bounced back to life with 70% medical disability. He wants to travel to New Delhi on 1 April in his modified car. His mission is to convince potential private employers to explore the talents of disabled people.
He will cover the distance of 8,500 kilometers by taking different routes. He will interact with the maximum number of employers who can support his cause. Jaipal has lined up 10 meeting points so far. There are many inspirational gatherings planned by clubs and voluntary organizations as well.
Jaipal, who is a commerce graduate, lost his job after the accident. He has been preparing for his journey with the support of friends and well-wishers at the Rotary Club and Junior Chamber of India.
The modified car has been prepared for the journey by a disabled man from Malappuram. A mechanic and a caretaker will accompany Jaipal during the drive.
The group will reach Delhi on 24 April. They hope to meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi before the return trip in the first week of May. They plan to ask him to increase the monthly pension for disabled people.
Thanks to Jaipal efforts, the district administration in Kozhikode has agreed to set up disabled-friendly entrances on the Kozhikode main beach and the South Beach.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Disabled people in parts of Goa can look forward to wheelchair accessible transport on voting day
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 'Mental hai kya': Sensational & STIGMA MULTIPLIES? - My take by Dr Harish Shetty
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Over 200 dead in Sri Lanka blasts
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News