This Mumbai initiative is teaching special needs kids from poorer sections of society
March 20, 2018
Children with special needs from weaker sections of society face the most neglect. Gharkul, an initiative in Mumbai, is trying to address this gap.
The founder, Sunil Satpute, is a social worker, who took this up to ensure that disabled children from slums and from poor families get support and guidance in education.
Satpute has experienced this hardship firsthand. He comes from a childhood of near poverty too.
He wanted to improve the lives of children who face limitations due to disability and lack of money.
His hard work has paid off. Many children have benefited from Gharkul's special education program.
Around 50 children come to Gharkul every day from 10:30 am to 4:30 pm.
They are taught in two classrooms at the municipal school, that Gharkul rents.
The program is designed to give education that is practical and useful as per mainstream education standards.
The subjects taught include, English, Math and History. There are also classes held in hobbies like painting, sport, craft, and quilling.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 'Mental hai kya': Sensational & STIGMA MULTIPLIES? - My take by Dr Harish Shetty
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Second voting phase-Key points
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News