This Mumbai initiative is teaching special needs kids from poorer sections of society
Children with special needs from weaker sections of society face the most neglect. Gharkul, an initiative in Mumbai, is trying to address this gap.
The founder, Sunil Satpute, is a social worker, who took this up to ensure that disabled children from slums and from poor families get support and guidance in education.
Satpute has experienced this hardship firsthand. He comes from a childhood of near poverty too.
He wanted to improve the lives of children who face limitations due to disability and lack of money.
His hard work has paid off. Many children have benefited from Gharkul’s special education program.
Around 50 children come to Gharkul every day from 10:30 am to 4:30 pm.
They are taught in two classrooms at the municipal school, that Gharkul rents.
The program is designed to give education that is practical and useful as per mainstream education standards.
The subjects taught include, English, Math and History. There are also classes held in hobbies like painting, sport, craft, and quilling.
Watch in Sign Language
- Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
February 20, 2019
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 13, 2019 17 people killed in fire that broke out at Delhi hotel
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Salman Khan donates for families of Pulwama martyrs
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Infosys Foundation announces Rs 10 lakh to families of martyrs of Pulwama attack
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Education February 19, 2019 The Gati initiative is enabling mainstream Mumbai schools to provide high quality, inclusive education
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 9, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News