Javed Abidi - Tribute by Dr T C Gehlot, Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment
In our series on tributes to the late disability rights leader, Javed Abidi, Dr Thawar Chand Gehlot, Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India, talks about the role played by Mr Abidi in drafting the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (RPWD), 2016 Act.
In 2014 when I became Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment, I came into contact with him. I saw that he was completely dedicated to the cause of the welfare of the disabled people.
He worked tirelessly all his life towards their welfare. He also guided the Ministry on how to work to help people with disabilities. He helped build awareness. He played an important role in strengthening the role played by people with disabilities. My ministry passed a new law to strengthen the position of people with disabilities. He played an important role in framing the law and enlightening us.
He was experienced and familiar with the situation regarding people with disabilities and he used this knowledge effectively in helping to frame guidelines. I never thought that God would take him away from us so soon. But despite the shock, the fact is that he is no longer among us.
The guidance he gave us will always be remembered. I used to meet him now and then and exchange ideas about the welfare of disabled people. He had a key role to play in the mission that we have undertaken to improve the conditions for disabled people.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Samsung to launch smartphone with four rear cameras in India this month
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Get-hooked November 16, 2018 Some tips to make learning fun for children with autism
- Headlines November 18, 2018 India-Australia cricket series to begin on 21 November
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Congress fields Ashok Gehlot, Sachin Pilot in Rajasthan, no clarity on who will be CM
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Union Minister Ananth Kumar passes away at age of 59
- Get-hooked November 15, 2018 Prince Durairaj is on a mission to spread awareness on child sexual abuse
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 13, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News