Javed Abidi - Tribute by Dr T C Gehlot, Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment
March 21, 2018
In our series on tributes to the late disability rights leader, Javed Abidi, Dr Thawar Chand Gehlot, Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India, talks about the role played by Mr Abidi in drafting the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (RPWD), 2016 Act.
In 2014 when I became Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment, I came into contact with him. I saw that he was completely dedicated to the cause of the welfare of the disabled people.
He worked tirelessly all his life towards their welfare. He also guided the Ministry on how to work to help people with disabilities. He helped build awareness. He played an important role in strengthening the role played by people with disabilities. My ministry passed a new law to strengthen the position of people with disabilities. He played an important role in framing the law and enlightening us.
He was experienced and familiar with the situation regarding people with disabilities and he used this knowledge effectively in helping to frame guidelines. I never thought that God would take him away from us so soon. But despite the shock, the fact is that he is no longer among us.
The guidance he gave us will always be remembered. I used to meet him now and then and exchange ideas about the welfare of disabled people. He had a key role to play in the mission that we have undertaken to improve the conditions for disabled people.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Athlete Dutee Chand faces family expulsion for saying she is gay
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Huge turnout for #MenToo protests held in Delhi
- Employment May 17, 2019 La-Monnaie Skills enables disabled youth to flower into resourceful, contributing citizens
- Education May 23, 2019 Hyderabad schools strictly warned not to deny admission to children with disabilities
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Accessible Elections in India & lessons for the future
- Headlines May 17, 2019 PM promises to build statue of reformer Vidyasagar
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 CRPF jawan & Pulwama attack survivor feeds disabled boy in Kashmir, wins hearts
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News