Javed Abidi - Tribute by Dr T C Gehlot, Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment
March 21, 2018
In our series on tributes to the late disability rights leader, Javed Abidi, Dr Thawar Chand Gehlot, Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India, talks about the role played by Mr Abidi in drafting the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (RPWD), 2016 Act.
In 2014 when I became Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment, I came into contact with him. I saw that he was completely dedicated to the cause of the welfare of the disabled people.
He worked tirelessly all his life towards their welfare. He also guided the Ministry on how to work to help people with disabilities. He helped build awareness. He played an important role in strengthening the role played by people with disabilities. My ministry passed a new law to strengthen the position of people with disabilities. He played an important role in framing the law and enlightening us.
He was experienced and familiar with the situation regarding people with disabilities and he used this knowledge effectively in helping to frame guidelines. I never thought that God would take him away from us so soon. But despite the shock, the fact is that he is no longer among us.
The guidance he gave us will always be remembered. I used to meet him now and then and exchange ideas about the welfare of disabled people. He had a key role to play in the mission that we have undertaken to improve the conditions for disabled people.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports August 20, 2019 “Never give up, live life to the fullest”- My Take by triple amputee & Trekker Sekhar Goud
- Events August 21, 2019 Workshop on Nayi Disha Resource Library
- Headlines August 24, 2019 United Nation supports Priyanka Chopra
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Death toll rises in monsoon fury at Himachal Pradesh
- Events August 21, 2019 GO PLAY - A Parent Education Program
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Kerala nun seeks justice from the Vatican
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Heavy rains bring down temperatures in Delhi
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-Hooked August 20, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News