Javed Abidi - Tribute by Dr T C Gehlot, Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment
In our series on tributes to the late disability rights leader, Javed Abidi, Dr Thawar Chand Gehlot, Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India, talks about the role played by Mr Abidi in drafting the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (RPWD), 2016 Act.
In 2014 when I became Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment, I came into contact with him. I saw that he was completely dedicated to the cause of the welfare of the disabled people.
He worked tirelessly all his life towards their welfare. He also guided the Ministry on how to work to help people with disabilities. He helped build awareness. He played an important role in strengthening the role played by people with disabilities. My ministry passed a new law to strengthen the position of people with disabilities. He played an important role in framing the law and enlightening us.
He was experienced and familiar with the situation regarding people with disabilities and he used this knowledge effectively in helping to frame guidelines. I never thought that God would take him away from us so soon. But despite the shock, the fact is that he is no longer among us.
The guidance he gave us will always be remembered. I used to meet him now and then and exchange ideas about the welfare of disabled people. He had a key role to play in the mission that we have undertaken to improve the conditions for disabled people.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports January 23, 2019 Para badminton camp in Mumbai seeks to nurture talent, attract support
- Parasports January 22, 2019 “My blade are my wings to fly”- My Take by Sajesh Krishnan, Kerala’s first blade runner
- Events January 19, 2019 Workshop on Secrets to Deal with ADHD Children
- Events January 20, 2019 Deaf Awareness India- Guests Lecture
- Get-hooked January 23, 2019 The Headway Foundation's annual Rendezvous promises some exciting announcements
- Events January 22, 2019 9th Hydrabad Fide Rating Chess Tournament for Visually Challenged, 2019
- Headlines January 22, 2019 Dhoni set to add another milestone
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News