Hari Budha Magar aims to be 1st double amputee set to scale Mount Everest
Hari Budha Magar, a former British Gurkha soldier, is set to become the first above-the-knee double amputee to climb Mount Everest. This is after Nepalese authorities were ordered to reverse a climbing ban issued in 2017.
In December 2017, the government of Nepal issued an order banning double amputees, blind, and solo climbers from attempting to climb its mountains, including Mount Everest. This was to reduce the number of accidents.
However, Magar never gave up on his dream. In a Facebook post at the time, the 38-year-old former soldier had called the ban discriminatory and an injustice.
The new rules were challenged in the Supreme Court of Nepal. The Court ordered that the ban be overturned.
Magar lost his legs after stepping on a bomb in Afghanistan in April 2010. The Gurkhas of Nepal have served in the British army for 200 years. They are known as being among the toughest soldiers in the world.
Magar now lives in the United Kingdom. He has scaled many peaks like the Ben Nevis and Mont Blanc. He is the only above-the-knee double amputee to scale the 6,476-meter (21246-foot) Mera Peak in Nepal.
Magar says that he has wanted to climb Everest since he was a child as he had heard so many stories about it.
Watch in Sign Language
- "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
February 19, 2019
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 20, 2019 Two jets crash ahead of Bengaluru Aero India event, one pilot dies
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Get-hooked February 21, 2019 ‘Punarjani’ gives new lease of life to disabled flood victims in Kerala
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Get-hooked February 20, 2019 Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019