Hari Budha Magar aims to be 1st double amputee set to scale Mount Everest
Hari Budha Magar, a former British Gurkha soldier, is set to become the first above-the-knee double amputee to climb Mount Everest. This is after Nepalese authorities were ordered to reverse a climbing ban issued in 2017.
In December 2017, the government of Nepal issued an order banning double amputees, blind, and solo climbers from attempting to climb its mountains, including Mount Everest. This was to reduce the number of accidents.
However, Magar never gave up on his dream. In a Facebook post at the time, the 38-year-old former soldier had called the ban discriminatory and an injustice.
The new rules were challenged in the Supreme Court of Nepal. The Court ordered that the ban be overturned.
Magar lost his legs after stepping on a bomb in Afghanistan in April 2010. The Gurkhas of Nepal have served in the British army for 200 years. They are known as being among the toughest soldiers in the world.
Magar now lives in the United Kingdom. He has scaled many peaks like the Ben Nevis and Mont Blanc. He is the only above-the-knee double amputee to scale the 6,476-meter (21246-foot) Mera Peak in Nepal.
Magar says that he has wanted to climb Everest since he was a child as he had heard so many stories about it.
Watch in Sign Language
- Para athletes see opportunities in Citi-International Paralympic Committee partnership
December 18, 2018
- Nothing stops this blind cricketer from batting for inclusion into IPL
December 17, 2018
- Exciting cricket at 1st triangular blind cricket series for girls
December 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 16, 2018 Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh may be announced today
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Kamal Nath will be Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister
- Parasports December 17, 2018 Nothing stops this blind cricketer from batting for inclusion into IPL
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Congress to form government in MP with Mayawati’s support
- Headlines December 17, 2018 Bhupesh Baghel is the new Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh
- Get-hooked December 16, 2018 Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
- Parasports December 16, 2018 India roots for Arunima Sinha as she sets to scale Antarctica's highest peak
- Education December 18, 2018 Disabled students in West Bengal cheer move to reserve 5% seats in higher education
- Events December 17, 2018 Blind Cricket League
- Headlines December 18, 2018 Cyclone hits Andhra Pradesh causing rains, landslides
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports December 13, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018