Loss of vision is no barrier to this Mumbai programmer's brilliant career
March 23, 2018
Aditi Shah, a product manager from Mumbai, has made quite a name for herself by developing tools and software that protect resources within some big data centers in India. Shah is also a hacker who tests the security systems so they are secure from people who may try and break into them.
Aditi's inspiration is popular American talk show host Oprah Winfrey, who proved herself in the face of some tough times.
Aditi was 11 years old when she was diagnosed with Retinitis Pigmentosa. This is a rare genetic disease that affects the retina. She lost her vision totally by the time she was 15 years old.
Aditi has not let loss of vision come in the way of doing anything that she loves. She uses modern technology to get around. She reads printed text with the help of OCR software and moves around by herself using Google Maps.
Aditi says the biggest barrier was not the fact that she lost her vision, but how the world around her perceived her disability. She topped her undergraduate program, yet no company was willing to believe that she could code.
She has proved every one wrong. Her track record at work has been outstanding. Aditi has had four promotions in less than three years. Her advice to people is to focus on their abilities, not disabilities.
Her message to everyone - Believe in yourself.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-Hooked August 25, 2019 Understanding Teaching Nonverbal Children
- Events August 21, 2019 Vadhu Var Melawa
- Get-Hooked August 25, 2019 South Korea’s Duckhee is 1st deaf tennis player to win men's professional tournament
- Accessibility August 23, 2019 Disabled people push for need of accessible & disabled-friendly Indian Railways
- Headlines August 24, 2019 PM Modi talks about 'New India' at France
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Security hiked for Indian cricket team
- Events August 21, 2019 GO PLAY - A Parent Education Program
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News