Loss of vision is no barrier to this Mumbai programmer's brilliant career
Aditi Shah, a product manager from Mumbai, has made quite a name for herself by developing tools and software that protect resources within some big data centers in India. Shah is also a hacker who tests the security systems so they are secure from people who may try and break into them.
Aditi's inspiration is popular American talk show host Oprah Winfrey, who proved herself in the face of some tough times.
Aditi was 11 years old when she was diagnosed with Retinitis Pigmentosa. This is a rare genetic disease that affects the retina. She lost her vision totally by the time she was 15 years old.
Aditi has not let loss of vision come in the way of doing anything that she loves. She uses modern technology to get around. She reads printed text with the help of OCR software and moves around by herself using Google Maps.
Aditi says the biggest barrier was not the fact that she lost her vision, but how the world around her perceived her disability. She topped her undergraduate program, yet no company was willing to believe that she could code.
She has proved every one wrong. Her track record at work has been outstanding. Aditi has had four promotions in less than three years. Her advice to people is to focus on their abilities, not disabilities.
Her message to everyone - Believe in yourself.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events January 20, 2019 Deaf Awareness India- Guests Lecture
- Events January 24, 2019 Wall Painting for Clean Mumbai
- Headlines January 24, 2019 India wins 1st one day against New Zealand
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Amazon Great Indian Sale is here
- Parasports January 22, 2019 Champions with disabilities display guts & glory at the 2019 Tata Mumbai Marathon
- Events January 21, 2019 Agra Deaf Enable Society- Republic Day Event
- Headlines January 22, 2019 Uri: The Surgical Strike is 2019's 1st hit
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News