Government officials sceptical over new quota in medical courses for disabled students
The central government recently passed an order that the quota for post-graduate courses in medicine for students with disabilities will be increased from 3 to 5%. Admission into post-graduate courses will be provided under a reserved category.
This new order has come as a breather to many students with disabilities who want to pursue a career in medicine. But many officials in the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare are doubtful about how a disabled doctor can treat a patient.
They have raised concerns over how a blind or deaf doctor can interact and treat a patient who needs emergency medical care. Until now, only students with 40 to 70% lower limb disability could pursue the course. Now, more than 20 disabilities have been added to the student with disabilities quota.
The categories of disabilities include blindness, low vision, leprosy-cured persons, hearing impairment (deaf and hard of hearing), locomotor disability, dwarfism, intellectual disability, mental illness, autism spectrum disorder, cerebral palsy and muscular dystrophy.
This new order that was passed by the ministry has been in favor of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016.
Watch in Sign Language
- Sol's Arc is making the world a better place for children with disabilities
December 14, 2018
- Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
December 14, 2018
- Tips to help children with dyscalculia
December 7, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events December 11, 2018 Annual Party Forum For Autism
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 What makes them Disability Heroes - World Disability Day Special
- Get-hooked December 9, 2018 These disabled youngsters find their passion in something unique
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 4% job reservation for disabled people announced in Goa
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Come 16 December, Bengaluru will host a car rally for awareness on autism
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Abuse at therapy centres in Kerala under scanner again, government promises redressal
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 Understanding Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
- Get-hooked December 9, 2018 Stay healthy & fit in a wheelchair. Here's how
- Headlines December 11, 2018 RBI Governor Urjit Patel resigns
- Education December 14, 2018 Sol's Arc is making the world a better place for children with disabilities
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News