Dance has helped Janani stay steps ahead of her disability
March 24, 2018
In our series on Down syndrome, we profile Janani Sankaran from Chennai, who is creating quite a name for herself in the world of Bharatanatyam even before her debut performance.
In less than a week, Janani Sankaran has her debut Bharatanatyam performance in Chennai. The arangetram is a big moment for a serious Bharatanatyam dancer, and Janani is looking forward to the big moment.
My sari is blue and white in colour. I am really very excited about going on stage, but I am also a little nervous - Janani Sankaran
Janani, who is 24 years old, started learning Bharatanatyam at the age of 10. The head of the RASA School, which she attends, discovered her talent for Bharatanatyam.
At RASA, children with special needs are taught dance, theatre, and the arts.
After she started taking classes in Bharatanatyam, we noticed that her health improved tremendously. She had undergone an open-heart surgery and had thyroid problems. Dancing helped improve her stamina significantly - Radha Sankaran, Janani's mother
Even before her debut performance, Janani's talents are getting noticed. She is getting calls to do shows in many parts of Chennai.
As she watches her daughter prepare for the big day, mother Radha is filled with pride. Getting here has not been easy as Janani faced many setbacks in her early years.
Radha says she had no information or support to help her with her daughter's disability. Social outings were hard to handle, given the many questions she was faced with from people. There was also unwillingness on the part of the mainstream schooling system to support and understand Janani.
They would put her in a corner in the classroom and none of the children were encouraged to socialize with her. She had a tendency to hug the children, out of love, but that was not liked - Radha Sankaran, Janani's mother
Dancing has given Janani's confidence. She is able to talk to anyone and is a very social person. She communicates very well and has no difficulty talking to people she meets for the first time.
Right now, her focus is on the upcoming debut show. There are photo shoots to be done and jewellery to be finalized. There is a whole new world awaiting Janani, and she is raring to go!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 20, 2019 Certificate course in Assistive Technology Solutions
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Jharkhand mob lynching victim dies, five arrested
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Imran Khan trolled after he quotes Tagore as Gibran
- Events June 20, 2019 Special buddies program (Intermediate group)
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Panel to review ‘One Nation, One Election’ plan
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 Love, Marriage & Disability - couples share their stories
- Parasports June 21, 2019 Ahead of Physical Disability World Series, allegations of bias against selectors
- Parasports June 19, 2019 Tamil Nadu set to rock the National Wheelchair Basketball Championship
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Zakker Hussain’s relentless commitment to social work is admired by many people
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Encephalitis deaths rise across Bihar, M.P under alert
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News