Being blind & hard of hearing does not come in the way of Tony's travel plans!
March 24, 2018
Tony Giles loves to travel. This 50-year-old has visited 127 countries, which is remarkable given that he is blind and hard of hearing. But that in no way has prevented him from travelling on his own.
Giles, who is 40 years old, has travelled across all the 50 states in the United States and seven continents.
Born and raised in England, Giles was diagnosed with cone dystrophy and photophobia when he was just nine months old. Though he could see in black and white until the age of 10, he was declared partially deaf by the time he was six.
Giles uses a powerful hearing aid, but he says it does not really help because he cannot hear things most of the times.
Tony learnt most of his skills at the Royal National College for the Blind in Hereford. These skills include Braille, mobility training, and the use of special computer software.
Tony says that he wants to travel to every single country in the world and die travelling! So what is your excuse to not pack your bags and go out there to explore the world?
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Athlete Dutee Chand faces family expulsion for saying she is gay
- Accessibility May 23, 2019 Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Pune centre builds awareness, stands up to the stigma around schizophrenia
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 'Follow your heart, not your brain to find success' - Guest column by Neelu Jindal
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Parenting Corner - Feeling Guilty
- Headlines May 22, 2019 PM Modi pays tribute to Rajiv Gandhi on death anniversary
- Employment May 19, 2019 At Indore workshop on workplace inclusion, corporates share learnings & inspiring stories
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News