RPWD 2016 not implemented properly in Tamil Nadu, say experts
Disability rights experts came together in Chennai to raise concerns about the poor implementation of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (2016), Act. Among them were senior bureaucrats and lawmakers.
The purpose was to find ways to implement the Act effectively in the state.
Under RPWD 2016, inclusive education and providing maintenance to people who undergo exploitation is a key aspect. The Act promises free and compulsory education to children with disabilities up to the age of 18 years.
It also says that schools and colleges located close to the homes of disabled students cannot deny them admission. However, this is not happening on the ground.
V Arun Roy, State Commissioner for people with disabilities in Tamil Nadu, was also present at the event. He said that while the Act talks about paying a maintenance to disabled people who have suffered abuse, there is no detail about who is liable to pay for this.
Watch in Sign Language
- Some ways to help kids with autism prepare for exams
October 20, 2018
- Proposal to start sign language exams needs a reality check, say experts
October 18, 2018
- Some tips to make classrooms inclusive for children with cerebral palsy
October 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Congress loses majority in Goa as 2 MLAs join BJP
- Accessibility October 16, 2018 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Animal lovers protest against decision to shoot down tigress Avni
- Headlines October 18, 2018 Priyanka Chopra to marry later this year, most likely in Rajasthan
- Get-hooked October 18, 2018 Staying fit with a disability is easy, here are some tips
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Air quality in Delhi dips to very poor, emergency meeting held
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Sudeep Shukla, India's first deaf MLA candidate looks forward to making history
- Parasports October 23, 2018 Mumbai to host first national throwball & swimming camp this week
- Events October 19, 2018 Knowledge sharing Open Session On Career Planning by BGFI
- Parasports October 23, 2018 India whitewash Sri Lanka, win T20 series 5-0
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Education October 20, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News