RPWD 2016 not implemented properly in Tamil Nadu, say experts
Disability rights experts came together in Chennai to raise concerns about the poor implementation of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (2016), Act. Among them were senior bureaucrats and lawmakers.
The purpose was to find ways to implement the Act effectively in the state.
Under RPWD 2016, inclusive education and providing maintenance to people who undergo exploitation is a key aspect. The Act promises free and compulsory education to children with disabilities up to the age of 18 years.
It also says that schools and colleges located close to the homes of disabled students cannot deny them admission. However, this is not happening on the ground.
V Arun Roy, State Commissioner for people with disabilities in Tamil Nadu, was also present at the event. He said that while the Act talks about paying a maintenance to disabled people who have suffered abuse, there is no detail about who is liable to pay for this.
Watch in Sign Language
- Disabled students in West Bengal cheer move to reserve 5% seats in higher education
December 18, 2018
- Sol's Arc is making the world a better place for children with disabilities
December 14, 2018
- Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
December 14, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Society attitudes are a big threat for development of children with disabilities
- Accessibility December 17, 2018 Disabled travellers raise concern over toilets being shut down in railway platforms
- Events December 13, 2018 6th India International Deaf film festival 2019
- Events December 17, 2018 AADI Winter festival 2018!
- Headlines December 17, 2018 Indian skipper Virat Kohli strikes 25th test hundred against Australia in style
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Isha Ambani & Anand Piramal ties the knot at Ambani’s residence in Mumbai
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Senior BJP leader questions choice of new RBI governor, party embarrassed
- Events December 17, 2018 Workshop on Concessions and Benefits for Children with Hearing Loss
- Events December 17, 2018 Dementia Caregivers' Support Group Meet
- Headlines December 17, 2018 Bhupesh Baghel is the new Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018