RPWD 2016 not implemented properly in Tamil Nadu, say experts
Disability rights experts came together in Chennai to raise concerns about the poor implementation of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (2016), Act. Among them were senior bureaucrats and lawmakers.
The purpose was to find ways to implement the Act effectively in the state.
Under RPWD 2016, inclusive education and providing maintenance to people who undergo exploitation is a key aspect. The Act promises free and compulsory education to children with disabilities up to the age of 18 years.
It also says that schools and colleges located close to the homes of disabled students cannot deny them admission. However, this is not happening on the ground.
V Arun Roy, State Commissioner for people with disabilities in Tamil Nadu, was also present at the event. He said that while the Act talks about paying a maintenance to disabled people who have suffered abuse, there is no detail about who is liable to pay for this.
Watch in Sign Language
- Gujarat government launches important initiative towards early screening of learning disabilities
February 7, 2019
- Mumbai's Wilson College's certificate course in disability studies finds widespread support
February 5, 2019
- No clarity on final guidelines for medical entrance test, disabled aspirants still in the dark
January 30, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 10, 2019 Teen art prodigy Ansh's stunning watercolours show maturity, individuality
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Cherish your life with all its unique flaws and blessings- My Take by Sundari Sivasubbu, Author
- Headlines February 10, 2019 Kangana Ranaut lashes out Alia Bhatt
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Barbie goes inclusive, launches line of dolls with disabilities
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019